Need some help 1st time buyer of a goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by skruzich, Oct 12, 2005.

1. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Hey yall,

Looking to get me a goat or two maybe a doe and a buck. Never had them before, and need to know some basic info to look for at the auction.

I also need to know what kind are best around dogs, i have 4.
    I primarily want them for weed control! But will use milk when it comes along.
    I have raised a cow before, and have dogs.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

let me see,
    if these guys are pets or weed control, get does or wethers. wethers are usually cheeper. you must have at least two goats togeather, besides the bucks, which are usually kept one to a pen. bucks just plain stink and are mean. if you plan to breed your does, you can get a buck, but they must have a separate pen so that thier daughters dont get bred too early and so that adult does dont get bred when you dont want. also, you dont even kneed a buck if you have a local goat person willing to allow his buck to breed your does, usually for a small fee. goats as weed control are excellent but will not clear an area of weeds unless you get alot of them. two or so will eat only thier favorite plants and leave all the stuff that they dont have to eat. to clear an area you must stress the land by putting lots of goats out for a while, eventually they will clear it by eating the first choice, then the second, then the third, exc.
    all goats are afraid of dogs. dogs must be trained to not attack goats, or better yet, fenced off from them.
    do some reading on them, they are quite complicated to the new owners. get a few good books and look online, and read up on the different breeds to find your breed. crossbreeds are also good choices as well for many people.

3. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Oh ok. I don't have to have the buck right now, just thought would want one for breeding so that i can get milk. As far as my dogs, I would think that the
    goat would handle mine, hehe. thier not very big, two schnauzers, 1 rat terrier, and a lab mix. They won't attack anything I bring in as a baby.
    If something gets into the yard that doesn't normally belong, then they go bonkers.
    As far as the yard is concerned, its 75' x 50' area. Not very big.

4. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

Ok here's my list of do's and don'ts and need to's. Sorry it may be long. :)

1. As mentioned before you wil need two goats. Please don't get a buck. Bucks are NOT for first time goat owners. They tend to turn people off of goats if they don't know what to expect. Bucks are harder to handle, can be dangerous, stink and have to have their own quarters. Two does would be good for you if you want to breed them eventually, or you could get two wethers.

2. With as small of an area as you have for them to forage in they will eat it very quickly. You will need to feed them hay (grass mix or just alfalfa). If they are kids they will need some grain for awhile.

3. They will need some type of shelter. a three sided building would work ok but I prefer a four sided building (makes me feel better for them in the winter and when I do chores I feel better too :) ).

4. Your fencing needs to be good. Either cattle pannels, or woven wire with a strand of electric fence run just inside of it, or about 5-7 strands of electric fence should work. Goats are hard on fencing if it is not the right kind or put up properly.

4. If you are planning on seriously milking them get some good goats. Goats that are bred to milk well. Look for animals that have milk records kept on them. Purebred animals sell much better than nonregistered animals, so you could sell any kids out of a purebred animal for more than an unregistered animal.

5. Please DO NOT buy your animals at an auction. They are sent there for a reason and it most likely is not going to be visavbe. Like maybe an animal is sterile or has CL or CAE or even Johnes or something else that you DEFINEATELY don't want to bring home. The auction animals about 80 % of the time cause some interestingly large vet bills.
    In the long run it would be cheaper, more worht your while to buy a doe that is from a respectable breeder. A doe that is registered, healthy and you know the history of is worth the time and money to find. it will save you in the long run and she will pay for herself in a year or two with kids and her milk.

6. If you want to look around at some goats in your state let me know and I will try to find a breeder near you.

7. It will take awhile, but your goats will calm down about the dogs. (It's better if they grow up with the dogs). Just let them see each other, but keep the fence between them. My lab loves the kids so much that she climbs in with them (when they are under the age of four months- older than that and they are too roudy for her). She sleeps with them and cleans them. it's hard to keep her out of there.
    Our dogs have grown up with goats so the goats know them and they know the goats. Our dogs protect our goats even though that's not what they were bred to do. My male is 100 lb. (golden retriever/collie half and half I saw both sire and dam). He is very protective of his territory and that includes the goats. One time a great dane (full grown) came to the EDGE of our property. Luke (our male) went after him and took him out. Luke was like a linbacker and took him out. That big old dog ran out of the yard whimpring with his tail between his legs, wondering what had happened.
    Hopefully your dogs will bond well with your goats. it will just take time.

Good luck with your search and if you have any questions just ask we love to help

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Ones that are pretty and look healthy, good luck!