Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to do quite a bit of repair work on this homestead...four projects to be exact! Since we cannot start until the meat birds are out of the brooder, we are most probably looking at spring to start three of them simply because December might be too cold to work successfully with rolled roofing. When this homestead was created David and I did 99% of the construction work ourselves, i.e. the barn, a large all-purpose shed and a good sized shed farther back where we housed the bucks for our Nubian herd of dairy goats. We also put the roof on the front porch. That was back in the mid-90s! From that time to now we've made repairs along; however, neither David nor I are physically able to do the roofing repairs needed now. Thus, we are considering hiring a couple of people to do them for us. I have no idea what to pay so need some suggestions in this regard.

The 4 "roofing" projects are:
1. an A-frame covering a 32' x 32' area
2. An A-frame covering a 10' x 16' area
3. A lean-to type roof covering a 10' x 16' area
4. A lean-to type roof covering an 8' x 10' front porch -- This is the only roof that does not need roofing taken off before construction can begin!

All roofs were created initially out of OSB and rolled roofing. And unless we can find something better we're considering using the same for the repairs. These roofs will be done in two phases, i.e. initially taking the old rolled roofing off so we can get a good look at what OSB and/or rafters might be needed; then putting up new materials to complete the projects.

We're thinking of placing an advertisement in Craig's List for a couple of people to do phase one being to take off the old rolled roofing and carry it off the homestead. Then if we find these people have done good (conscientious) work, hiring the same people to return (after we purchase needed materials) and complete the jobs.

We're, also, thinking in phase "two" we would pay the workers more than we did in phase "one". We have no idea what would be a fair wage for either phase.

Any guidance/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
732 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All this 👍 why not find a contractor to give you a estimate ?
I could do a job like that for 500 a sq10x10 area
Tear it off buy the material and squeegee it on
And clean up .
One day job . 🤗
If it is to cold for rolled mop down roofing
They can use torch roof.
osb = bad on the roof .

I can shoot gaf dimensional shingles on for 350 bucks a sq 10x10 area .
But the roof needs 3 on 12 pitch .

I could not tell you how many times the Craigslist guys beat me out of a job
Started work and got halfway ripped off
And decided to just leave . ☹
At that point I charge double my normal rate
Gesture Cartoon Art Suidae Domestic pig

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding. If not OSB then what? I'm thinking "treated" plywood. Right?

Yes I used Craig's List once before. The man showed up to mow my front acreage (less than 3 acres) using my DR Field & Brush Mower. He wanted $300 and I gave him $150 up front. He worked 3 hrs then found a reason to leave saying he would return but he never did! I'm very cautious now and will not hand over money until work has been done.

I'm thinking surely there are honest people who want to earn some $$ who read Craig's List.............

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,728 Posts
OSB "can" be used for a roof deck, but you had better be SURE that moisture can't get to it EVER. It's definitely not recommended. Builders are using it because of the cost savings.

Roll roofing is cheap, both in cost and quality. It also has a bad reputation for how it looks. It won't last as long as other choices.

One important question is, "How old are you?" If you expect to live another twenty years, then use metal roofing.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Metal roofing is out of the question simply because it can draw lightning. I suspect most of the OSB on the all-purpose shed is still good though may replace a few pieces at the lower ends. Still, we discovered in prior repairs that, if we put up a "grooved" 1" x 4" at the ends of the rafters and place the OSB in that groove, then make sure the roll roofing is tacked onto that treated 1" x 4" board, all is good. Just didn't know to do this when we initially built the roofs needing repairs now......Probably treated plywood on the other structure might be needed and certainly on the roof of the front deck.

·
42,728 Posts
Metal roofs draw lightening. That's interesting, but not true. I can understand that you may have personal experience that causes that fear.

I have been in two houses that were struck by lightening. They had shingle roofs. I have metal roofs ON MANY of the houses I own. None have been struck by lightening. (knock on wood) I have had to replace five due to a single hail storm, however.

"Lightning strikes on metal roofs are an understandable concern for homeowners considering an upgrade to a metal roof. Extensive research on lightning protection reveals that metal roofing is no more likely to attract a lightning strike than any other type of conventional roofing material.

In fact, as a non-combustible material with the highest Class A fire-resistance rating, metal roofing is the most desirable material for homes and businesses in lightning prone regions."

·
42,728 Posts
Metal Roofs and Lighting
"The misconception that metal roofs attract lightning is probably because metal itself is known as a good conductor of electricity, and people, therefore, assume that a metal roof must attract lightning. In reality, when lightning strikes, it is seeking a path to ground and almost always will strike whatever object is highest in the area that also has a direct path to ground. Your metal roof is not grounded, and thus lighting has no reason to strike it.

A metal roof in no way makes your home more vulnerable or susceptible to lightning strikes."

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much. All that information about metal roofs is very helpful. I actually still have a few pieces of metal roofing material I purchased many years ago when we first started developing this place. I found a truck load full of "used" metal roofing and got it for $100 which is quite cheap in this area. David and I used it on two of our projects and all we had to do was make sure the holes were patched as we placed them in layers. They have worked quite well. Not sure I've enough to cover much but maybe can the lean-to type shed down by the buck house.

A contractor simply costs too much; and since I know exactly what to do I really don't need his expertise. I just need some hard workers to get the job done.....sure is a bummer getting too old to do your own repairs :(

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts
OSB Is the most common deck material used for roofs nationwide. Keep it dry and it performs fine.

I would also seriously consider putting a metal roof on these structures, so you don't have to re-roof them again.
Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just some 29ga pole building sheeting, any color or plain galvalume. It will probably outlast you, so long as the structure and deck under it is still good.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fishindude wouldn't that 29ga pole building sheeting require "purlins" to be placed between the rafters?

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts
Fishindude wouldn't that 29ga pole building sheeting require "purlins" to be placed between the rafters?
Would be a pretty simple and inexpensive matter to lay some 2x4 purlins on top of the roof and screw them to structure if that makes you feel better.
If the OSB deck is thick enough and in good shape, it may not be necessary.

·
Premium Member
29,043 Posts
All the roofing contractors here use OSB sheathing. We insisted on plywood when we had our roof sheathing replaced back in '95. When the roof needed to be reshingled in 2016, one little piece near the peak needed to be replaced. We used plywood to replace it.

Owens Corning makes a 50 year shingle. We hope to never have to have the roof done again.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for helping. If the OSB is still in good shape over most of the rafters, I suspect we will just replace what was damaged with more; then put up the grooved boards at the end of the rafters and tack the roofing to all that extending it past the grooved board a bit.

Now to find the workers..........

·
Premium Member
43,179 Posts
Thank you all for helping. If the OSB is still in good shape over most of the rafters, I suspect we will just replace what was damaged with more; then put up the grooved boards at the end of the rafters and tack the roofing to all that extending it past the grooved board a bit.
Oh
Now to find the workers..........
That shouldn’t be a problem with so many unemployed these days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts