need some dosage help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Jul 3, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We have 2 bottle babies that we bought last week that are starting to show signs of pink eye and we are going to give them a dose of Bio-Mycin and need a little help. They are not quite 2 weeks old so the pick of sights is minimal, I'm thinking pinch as much as I can on the neck and then give .5 cc for every 10 lbs of weight. Now should I give this daily until all signs are gone or give it to them until thier eye salve gets here in a few days and discontinue the antibiotics. They are also starting to get a touch of a cough, so I'm happy to give them the antibiotics now rather than later. I hope I said all of this right, and didn't confuse anyone. I just don't wanna mess up thier dose.

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

pink eye will run its course with or without antibiotics.
    if you start with antibiotic you want to do the whole nine yard and not quit in the middle because this would only lead to resistence. what temperature do the little guys have? how are they taking their bottle?
    you can support them and give vit b complex and prtobios or yoghurt/kefir.

3. tinetine'sgoat

slight fever in both. Eye in one is getting gunky now and draining. The other one is just starting to look runny. Both have started having runny noses and slight coughs. One is eating great still, other is starting to slack off. He is the one who showed the symptoms first. I have some eye ointment coming from the vet, but they had to order it and it wont be in until Thursday at the earliest, so I am hoping to nip this in the bud with the meds.

4. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

bio-myocin should be given every third day. pen is a daily antibiotic. .5cc/10lbs to start is good. If you don't get results within a half day or so double it.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

With the fever, runny noses and coughs, I suspect a respiratory infection. The best antibiotics for that are either Excenel or Nuflor. You need to get these from the vet. Pinkeye doesn't generally make the goat feel sick and go off feed. Pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses do.

6. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

I agree - sounds more like a uri. I would not give BioMycin to a kid still on milk. Check out fiascofarm.com for medication info. You can use triple antibiotic ointment in their eyes twice a day for pinkeye, but that of course will do nothing for the runny noses and coughs. Nuflor would be my choice (1 cc per 20 lbs given SQ every 4 days). I would give 2 shots and additional shots only if they have not cleared up. Good luck.

Debbie

7. tinetine'sgoat

Thanks for all the info, very helpfull!! :)