need some biz advice (opnions)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by spam4einstein, Jul 5, 2006.

1. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

My wife is starting a clogging studio in Blairsville, ga which is in north georgia and we would like some feedback on her site. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. She is offering line dancing and other stuff, but the base of the buisness is precision clog dancing as thats her love. Not too many people up here by the Tennessee and North Carolina border, but hopefully we will have a few students. Anyone here clog? We can use any ideas on advertising yall have.
    Thanks
    JP
    precisionclogging.com
    http://www.precisionclogging.com/

2. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I love the website!

We have a local group of cloggers that perform around the state. I religiously go to see them every year. :)

Please wish your wife good luck from me on starting her own business.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I'm impressed. Very clear design elements and good grammar!!

4. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

Nice site. Easy to read, informative and you get the feeling your are excited about what you do.
    I have a business in a small town and the best advertising for the most reasonable $$ was by making brochures and getting them out into the community. The area schools may let you put brochures in their back to school packets for the kids (+parents and teachers. Otherwise target health clubs, athletic stores, dancewear stores, health food stores, MD's offices, music stores. You may want to offer a weeks free lessons offer on the brochure but be sure to put an expiration date on it. Give gift certificates for lessons and be sure to donate lessons for fund raisers.
    I hope things work out for you! B

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

My nieces did dance and the studio was very successful,wishing you the same success.
    Of the girls who tried out for cheerleading,all the dance studio girls made it.They also gained a lot of poise and confidence from dance.

BooBoo

6. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

The site is better than many I have seen. But a few suggestions:

Change the ALT text tags on the banner graphics to not read "Business Tagline Here"
    The pink on black is a harsh contrast and strains the eyes
    In general, black background webpages are harder to read and less professional. Consider black text on white or light background for the body text.
    The special offer graphic does not seem to work for me, just says "FREE"

7. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

What a cool concept, I hope your business thrives!

I also have a few suggestions...
    I agree that the pink is too bright, I'd tone it down.
    I'm on dialup, and the pages don't load top to bottom, so things jump around while other things load above and around them.

On the classes page:
    This is an awkward sentence: "The competitive group requires a higher level of obligation in regards to performance as well as finances."
    I would say: The competitive group (troupe ?) requires a high level of commitment and dedication.
    I would also say: "Additional expenses might include...."
    and I would consider: "Fundraisers will be an option, and in the future, sponsorships may be considered to offset costs."
    -I don't know exactly how many cheerleader uniforms I've helped pay for with all of those candy bars and pizzas I've bought, LOL.

On the about us page:
    "She has been clogging for 20 years and in addition to numerous performances, she has also competed both individually and on two successful competition teams."
    The word "also" isn't needed, and "in addition" two sentences in a row is repetitive.

You might say: "She has been clogging for twenty years, participating in many public performances, as well as having won competitions both individually and on two successful teams."

FAQ page: "We are also the only group in the area offering a competitive clogging program."
    The "also" isn't needed.

Home page:
    "Highland Dance Center is a family-
    friendly studio in Blairsville,
    Georgia. Our location is also
    convenient to Western North
    Carolina and Eastern Tennessee."
    The "also" isn't needed.
    The line breaks don't flow, I'd get rid of the hyphen... (family oriented ?)
    You might consider:
    Highland Dance Center is a family
    owned studio in Blairsville GA,
    near Western North Carolina
    and Eastern Tennessee.

Has she ever taught, coached, or choreographed dance?
    conducted dance workshops? You might put that in there, too.

Hope this helps.
    Good Luck with your venture!

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i like a more neutral colored backgound like a beige or sky blue. i think too much white hurts the eyes. i wish this site had a darker color when reading the threads. i have to turn my monitor brightness way down.

9. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

I have to chime in on the special offer tab, It just looks cheasy, like yer sellin t.v.'s or somethin. I would also say to go with a more neutral color scheme. I wish I lived closer, that would be something I'd love to learn!

Good Luck!

10. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to dance with the Apple Chill Cloggers from Chapel Hill when I was at UNC. They weren't precision cloggers, but were more traditional, "old-time". They have a cool website if you'd like to see theirs:

www.applechillcloggers.org

I was shocked when I googled up their site last year and saw some old pics of me. Brought back some great memories.

11. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I grew up in N GA. Get an exhibition team and go to all the bluegrass festivals you can and do a couple of exhibitions each day. Hand out brochures or at least have them available.

A taekwondo school I'm familiar with has an exhibition team that goes to all the local school fall festivals and they do an exhibition and hand out brochures with a discount coupon in them.

Other ideas from the taekwondo school:
    Kids that bring in X friends earn a free month of tuition.

Get with the PE teacher at the local schools and do a week of free classes (during PE) then send brochures home with the kids. If you can't do this, do the free classes before or after school.

12. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm going to have to chime in and agree.. the color combination doesn't work for me, and I'm definitely the "target audience" for such a site.

I'd take a cue from the Apple Chill Cloggers site. I like the use of more muted colors which appeal to both sexes and the use of images to show people having fun (if you don't have any... stage some). Personally, if I were emphasizing Irish Clogging I'd have done the site in muted shades of reen (hey.. my key just failed!!) But that's just me.

13. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

14. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Very informative. I enjoyed watching cloggers when I morris danced.

The black background doesn't work well; many people find a black background difficult to read. The font is too fat. You need a nice photo of Angela dancing on your home page, in costume.

On the "about us" page, keep the paragraph about Angela. Include a photo of her at age three, dancing or in costume. A photo of the building the studio is in would be appropriate, if it is a nice looking building. A group photo of cloggers would be good. Move the mission statements to the homepage, without the "mission statement" titles.

This is very exciting.

Other than that, more pictures please.