Need SOme advice

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farmgirl2005, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

Hey,
    Well i just got finished banding my boys. But i feel so bad about it, but olny one was crying. But what im really worried about is this:
    1. will they still come up to me when i feed them, see they are not tame and they had to be done before they got to old.
    2. Will they be okay, i feel bad but i dont want to worry about them really doing damage to eachother when they are older.
    I just plain feel awful about anything that would hurt them.
    PLease advise, any treat ideas, they dont seem to care about carrots, or apples. Sugar ubes would they work.
    Thanks LYn

2. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

You did the right thing for your babies, even if it wasn't fun for you.
    It is the same as giving a human baby vaccinations. It hurts, they cry, but it is for their long term benefit even if it seems mean.
    Goats are very forgiving. They have already forgotten what happened, and likely stopped hurting. Most dairy goats are disbudded, which is similar to banding in the amount of pain and duration (short) and I've never seen one hold a grudge against people.
    I like to give them a baby aspirin after disbudding or banding. It does seem to help and it eases my feelings too! Don't use if there is any bleeding though.

You could try sugar cubes. My goats love fruit flavored Tums, Altoids, Cracklin' Oat Bran, pine needles, green onions, and cabbage. Calf Manna is relished by most livestock, you could buy a little bag of that too.

3. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

Thanks so mush, that makes me feel so much better,
    Thanks Lyn