Need some advice again

Discussion in 'Goats' started by celadon, Sep 13, 2006.

1. celadon

celadon Well-Known Member

I don't know if you remember my story so I will go thru it real fast. I bought two - 2 month old goats from the auction. The owner said theyhad all there shots. Being new to goats I said okay, Thnaks. But I have no idea what shots she was talking about. After I got the goats home one became very sick. I had the vet out 3 times. Our vets are not goats vets. I mean they do treat goats but are not to educated at it. But I do have great vets. Anyway, The one goat that was sick seemed to get better. We had her on antibodits and wormed her. IN fact I worm both of them. The vet gave me shots for this. But the one goat that was really sick still has a little cough and it like she gurgles in her throat. Also sound like a sniffing dogs at times. I am going to have the vet out again to check her out. My question is Since I have not idea on what shots they had I would like to re-do them They are now 6 months old. They are happy - fat after eating and playing like two young goats should. I live in southern michigan and it gets cold up here. What shots should I ask the vet to give my goats. I want to cover everything. I love these little girls. I am going to take there poo in and get it checked for all worms plus lung worms.

Also I asked all over about the medicated pellets for my goats. No one has them around here. Isn't it CAE they get? How do I treat that since I can not get the medicated pellets? I worry about these girls after reading about them on this site. But sure glad for the site, I am learning so much. Thank you

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

They should get a min CD/T 2 cc's given sub Q then another 2 cc's 28 days later , then boost them yearly. I would do this as you do not know for sure what they got.

Worming goat via shots is no good , they should be given medication orally.

1 cc of ivermection 1 % cattle injectable per 50 lbs {given orally} or

6 cc per 25lbs of ivermectin sheep drench per 25 lbs or

cydectin 1cc per 25 lbs

valbazen 2cc per 25lbs

There is no vaccine for cae I think you mean coccidia , yes they should be treated. Treatment again will be orally with corid , di-meth or albon. Dosage depends on what you use.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

celadon, here is a site with tons of info:

click on "sitemap" when you get there :)
    www.fiascofarm.com

4. celadon

celadon Well-Known Member

Thank you both. :)