Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I broke the ceramic shaft on 2 submersible magnetic drive pumps. One looks to be 1/8" and the other 1/4".

I've done some checking on the web but so far have found nothing but dead ends. The pump suppliers want to sell me a $30 plus S&H impeller kit to fix a $40 pump and that's for the little one.

I wonder if I could use a stainless steel shaft since it isn't affected by magnets. Ceramics are used in the shafts because they are harder than anything that might get into the pump.

Any ideas where a person could buy just a single small shaft?

·
Registered
473 Posts
What about brass or bronze as they are non magnetic. Bronze should be resistant to most chemicals as they are used in maritime locales. Cutting or fabrication should also be simpler. The parts could also be dipped or tinned with lead free solder to 'plate' them for protection from oxidation. This method should work IF the ceramic is not intended to electrically isolate electronics.

Depending on the torque applied, some plastics may also work (derlyn, nylon, teflon) . The costs of these materials could however, exceed the cost of the ceramic.

Ceramic would be VERY difficult to cut and machine. That may be the reason for the high cost of replacement parts. Also assures the manufacturer of a guaranteed source of aftermarket sales. Probably cheaper to mould the ceramics than to machine a metal shaft.

Stainless can be found from suppliers like Enco, MSC or McMaster-Carr to name a few, or you may have a local source.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts