Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I are planning to help out with a youth group this year which has been somewhat lackluster according to some of the kids who are involved. We have a few ideas of what we enjoyed when we were teens and have bounced a few ideas off some of the teens and have heard encouraging responses. One thing eluding us is where to find lots of ideas for good skits, like pretty much one a week. We're looking for something short and pretty simple so there aren't a ton of lines to memorize. Wild and crazy is fine but it needs to be clean or something that could be cleaned up and retain the funny (it is for a church group ;) ). Any ideas of where to look? I found two websites with a lot of ideas and need to weed through those some more. Any books that anyone could recommend? Lists? Any other ideas of where to find skits?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Have the kids pick a song they like and change the words. That way they already have the rhythm, rhyme scheme and a subject to play off. They'll like it because it starts with something they already think is cool, *they* get to do the creating instead of reciting lines someone else wrote about something they may not care about, and the bulk of the work will go quickly - then they can enjoy themselves with the practicing and fine-tuning and sorting out who does what.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Why come up with skits for them. Have them come up with skits for you. Divide the kids up into groups of 3 to 4 and have them come up with there own skits for the rest of the group. The counselors get to be the judges. You'll get some really original stuff off the wall stuff.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
go to GOD TUBE, christian site has all kinds of good skits they did.!! " EVERYTHING" is an awesome skit that will make you cry, there are some funny ones they do too

·
Premium Member
18,413 Posts
travlnusa said:
Google search Boy Scout Skits

You will have 100's to choose from.
I hope I can explain one of my ol' favorite Boy Scout skits.

This skit is about the "World's Best Spitter!" You need two people: (1) a spitter and (2) a person who "catches" the spit in a metal pail.

The skit starts out with “the spitter” explaining that he can spit higher into the air than anyone else in the world. He *fake* spits into the air and a second later the person holding the metal pail “catches” the spit (by thumping the bottom of the bucket with a finger so everyone “hears” the catch).

This demonstration is repeated several times as the spitter spits higher and higher into the air (ie, longer and longer intervals between the “spitting into the air” and the “catch” (ie, thump on the bottom of the pail). Finally, on the last spit...which goes hundreds of feet into the air....the catcher has a hard time catching it. The catcher runs in and out and around the fire ring trying to catch that wad of spit. The catcher then “trips” and all the spit (which is actually water put into the pail before the skit started) gets dumped onto one unexpecting scout!

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
I helped out with my mom's fourth graders every year when they did their talent shows- obviously, given the age and context, things had to be clean and kid-friendly. Some of the stuff we did:

- The kids acted out a rapped version of Green Eggs and Ham, sung by the a cappella group Moxy Fruvous. It's really funny, even for older kids (I found it when a college friend played it for me); we had a kid who played Sam I Am, a kid who played the guy who doesn't want to try the eggs, and other kids doing backup.

- A singing/dancing routine to the Weird Al song "Ebay" (a parody of that Backstreet Boys song "I Want It That Way"). Weird Al sings about all of the bizarre things people buy/sell on eBay- the kids had props and shared the lines. It was really well received by the teachers and other kids. There are a lot of really great Weird Al songs that have totally clean lyrics, good beats and are funny for use in talent shows and such. If you need ideas, looking through some of his stuff might not be a bad place to start.

- "The Presidents Song" - this one was from the cartoon Animaniacs (anyone else remember that?). They sing a short rhyme about every president of the U.S., in order. It was written in the '90s, so it only goes as far as the Clintons, but it's really straightforward to just write a couple of lines for Bush and stick them on the end. For this, each kid picked a president, drew a picture of them or something that symbolized them, and sang the lines relating to "their" president. Like Weird Al, there are a lot of great songs from Animaniacs that work well for talent show/skit-type stuff. There's a lyrics archive somewhere online if you take a look for it, and you can find a lot of them on MP3.

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! Looks like I have plenty of material to start off with! Cabin, that is EXACTLY the kind of thing I am looking for!!!! That's funny! I had found a boyscout site but haven't had time to read through all the skits. I had also found one of those Christian sites but the one I found had mostly long skits - I'll have to look at some of those other sites. We talked to some friends who are working with Young Life and they have a skit book that supposedly has some great ideas too. Now to start planning! We will probably have some of the church group kids help with some of them but we need to start off the year and there are more non-church kids than church kids so there is a lot of the "entertain me" mentality. Besides, these are teens - very hard to motivate! Not our job to change that overnight. Ya gotta work with what ya got to start.

·
Premium Member
18,413 Posts
Okay, since you liked the last one, here’s another.

You ask for a volunteer from the kids sitting around the campfire. You tell the volunteer that he is going to be a submarine crew member. All he has to do is repeat the orders that the Captain on Deck gives him. So, you have the volunteer lay down on the ground. You throw a rain coat over his body such that one arm of the rain coat is over his head. The Captain on Deck holds the end of the raincoat arm straight up in the air. The raincoat arm is the submarine “hatch.” (I hope you can visualize this). The skit then goes something like this:

Captain: Full speed ahead
Sailor: Full speed ahead

Captain: Up periscope
Sailor: Up periscope

Captain: Down periscope
Sailor: Down periscope

Captain: 15 degrees starboard
Sailor: 15 degrees starboard

Captain: Load Torpedo One
Sailor: Load Torpedo One

Captain: Dive, dive
Sailor: Dive, dive

At this point a bucket of water is poured down the raised raincoat sleeve onto the covered and unsuspecting “sailor” lying on the ground!

Captain: You forgot to close the hatch!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.