Homesteading Forum banner

Need seals for an old Ariens roto tiller

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  fishhead 
#1 ·
How can I find tiller seals for my old Ariens front tined rototiller? I would guess that it is 40-50 years old.

I can't keep lube in it and have gotten it so hot that it smokes a bunch of times. Surprisingly it still works.

Or maybe there is some thick grease that I could fill it with instead of 80-90 wt gear lube?

#3 ·
Your might want to try corn head grease. It is a solid when the gearbox is not being used. It turns into more of a liquid gear lube when the gearbox is running.

If you can't find a source for new seals, you might be able to make your own using a cereal box or by using RTV silicone gasket sealant on one of the mating surfaces.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Go to kaman.com/bearings-power-transmission. There is likely a store somewhere near you, or you can order direct from the website.
They are a national bearing and seal supply company. If you tell them the application, an exact shaft size and the size of the housing recess they can send you the correct seals.
A majority of the time though, there will be an international number on a most of the seals and bearings used clear back into the 40's. You can give that number to the bearing shop. They then can reference the needed seal.
Get your magnifying glass out. Some of those numbers can be pretty small.

#10 ·
I found a parts store that carries parts for this old tiller so I have some on the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.