Need Scrapies Reg. help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, May 16, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Okay, my kids are doing 4H this year and we are supposed to do something about ID for scrapies.
    I've about had it, no one can seem to give me an answer on what we are supposed to do. I've called the Wa state Ag people, the extension office, USDA, etc...
    Nada.
    Anyone know if I need to register for a scrapies tag? And how do I do this?
    Also, if the goat is tattooed with a herd and id info....do they need a scrapies tag on them??

Thanks,
    Lori

2. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

scrapies varies from state to state. most do not require you to tag the goat if they are tattooed and it is a registered animal-they can trace the animal back to you. i REFUSED to scrapies tag my dairy goats to show at the 4h shows here and when i stood my ground, they backed off. scrapies is not a disease that goats get unless they are w/infected sheep and eating the afterbirth or something. since the 40's there's been like 7 cases in the US and all of them were the above scenario. my diary goats are tattooed, registered w/adga, and that program isn't going to do any good anyway. it's just another way to track what we are doing.

that said, if your county extension agent can't help you, how can they prevent you from showing your goats????? call the state vet office.

3. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

yes, you need a scrapie premise ID series. Right now, if your goats are papered and tatooed, you can bring goat w/ tatoo and matching papers and that'll probably be ok. Wethers need your premies ID series tatooed or tagged to their ear. Just sign up with your choice of letters and/or numbers (perferably the same as the ones you have with your registry). They may/may not send you tags. Either way, just tatoo the numbers/letters in goats ear.
    4-H is requiered to participate in the scrapie program.
    Best wishes!
    ~Carrie C.

4. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Thank you, but how do I get a scrapie premise ID?
    Mine will all be tatooed with my ADGA herd number or my Meat Goat herd number, but some will not be registered.
    So I just tattoo them with Herd Id and my specific id for them??
    Sorry I'm so new!
    Lori

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Blessed Mom, what county are you in? In Cowlitz County, my dd's shown her goats in 4-H for a couple years, and has never been asked for a scrapies tag or ID number. All the vet does is give them a quick visual check for obvious illness and sends them off to the barn. Feel free to PM me!
    ~Mary

6. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

Hi, i found a sight to give you a little information on this subget. Here in Texas my kids have been in 4-H for 5 years and we have never had to have it.
    If you go to
    www.jackmauldin.com
    you will see a list of information on his sight
    go into goat health issues
    then diseases conditions
    you will see a a sign that say's state and federal scrapies requirements program go in and read some there will be a place where you can get more information. It states that the gun and tags are free. We have never had to have it but we did buy a goat that she has one. Out of our 23 goats she is then only one.
    I hope that just reading it will help you.

p.s. it also is a good sight they tell about diseases in goats and tell about all the meds to use for a goat and different information that is helpful.
    felica

7. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Call up USDA in WA state.
    P.S. Don't let the usda hear that you aren't requiering scrapie id in cowlitz. They get very touchy.
    P.P.S. when you call up the USDA ask for MILLIE! She's about the only one who knows anything down there.
    ~Carrie C.

8. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Shhh, Carrie, it's a secret! ;)
    ~Mary