Need $ saving ideas for disney world

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by countrygurl, Nov 30, 2006.

1. countrygurl

countrygurl Well-Known Member

We would like to take the family to disney world at the end of 2007. We would want to stay in disney world because of the younger children. We have been to disney worl about 10 years ago and plan on 1 day at Disney and 2 days in Universal and leave the third day open. We plan on driving its about 14 hours and do it in 2 days. Does anyone have and ideas on saving money & tips, It will be hubby & me, daughter and her new husband sons- 18, 14, 8 & 2.(next yrs ages)
    thanks

2. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

bring your own food except for those treats that you can only find at disney. Take a break and eat somewhere quiet and restful so you can get out and do it again. Bring a water bottle. Bottled water and drinks get very expensive.

Crystal

3. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Take a cooler full of food, and maybe a box of dry goods, and do breakfast and lunch picnic-style. Eating out every meal gets real expensive, real fast...

We do that all the time, also taking a campstove or a small electric hot water pot, and brewed our own iced tea, which we took with us in thermoses. We are hard-core that way...actually doing all meals ourselves, having hot meals via the campstove (set on the bathroom floor if we were in a motel).

Having a small electirc thing to do hot water would be simpler - you could do morning oatmeal, if you have the instant kind...

4. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

LOL. Crystal beat me to it!

5. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

www.mousesavers.com will tell you when special packages come out.
    www.allearsnet.com also has some good stuff.

Ditto on the bring your own food. We have a double stroller that we carry a dozen water bottles in one side (we keep them and refill them as water is about $4 a bottle in the parks) and the other side we make sandwiches and pack chips. We eat cereal in the room every morning and keep the gallon of milk in an ice chest. If you have to eat meals in the parks, go to counter service with condiments bar. You and your spouse can make salads off of the hamburger lettuce and tomato bar and save about $10 a day. (Call me cheap, yeah, but we saved about $50 doing that about three years ago!). I ate healthy AND free....in Disney!

Best times are when everyone else is in school. ie mid Sept - early Nov is ideal and they have good deals out for then. Look up the dates for Mardi Gras, Easter, Spring breaks and other holidays and stay away during those times. We stayed at Pop Century resort two years ago for $49 a night in mid-October and All Star 2 years ago for $54 a night. The value resorts are a pretty good deal just a tad on the small side. The feeling went away when I went to sleep though LOL. While there, take the buses to save your own gas and on parking fees. Another idea is the entertainment card. Go to www.entertainment.com and read around. Their card helps you get 1/2 off rack room rates on some decent hotels, HOJOs, Best Western, Amerisuites. Stay at one of the off site hotels and you may find a nice deal on a 2 star hotel.

If you buy a 4 day pass, it'll only be like $4-6 a day more for a 7 day pass. Use it for 4 days, keep the three for use the next year. Make sure you get the right pass cause some you can't do that. This year, we're going with 2 days remaining from last year, 2 days from '05, and 2 days from '04, and won't have to buy tickets at all! About a $1000 in savings by spending about $200 extra over 3 years. Some won't look at it that way, but we'll enjoy our free park entries.

Ask for Disney gift cards for Christmas and birthdays. We do and our family obliges 'cause they know we're Disney freaks.

I'll try to think of others and get back with you.

Ray

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, don't go in July. We went this past July and all it did was rain, combine that with the heat and long waits in line for every ride and what you get is a whole park full of cranky people at the happiest place on earth. LOL

Disney is vastly overrated in my opinion.

7. Outlaw9

Outlaw9 GO VOLS!!!!

You can find some booths thats have disney tickets here. Or something like that. They want you to take a tour of some properties doesnt take long and we got some free tickets out of it.

8. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Best money saving tip you will get...........Don't Go!

9. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Stay off site. There is a camping resort called Tropical Palms that is a few minutes away and rents nice small, fully furnished cabins for the same price as a cheap hotel room, or 1/3 or a room on Disney property. Have fun.

10. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

While this wouldn't apply to you any more being in MS, Mardi Gras is an awesome time to go as long as it doesn't fall on the week of Presidents day. Thanksgiving is OK, but still long lines. I think Mardi Gras was th best time to go.

11. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

Depending when you want to go in 2007 they usually offer free Disney Dining end of August through first week of October. You have to stay in a Disney hotel and buy a minimum of a one day ticket. Free dining includes one snack credit per person, one counter service and one sit down meal for each night of stay at the Disney hotel.

Even if you are visiting other parks you could use the counter service for breakfast or sandwiches to take with you, use your snack credit for snacks to take with you (example, 1 six pack of doughnuts counted as 1 snack credit) and come back to the Disney area in time for a nice dinner.

Since you'll have a car you can drive to all the other cool Disney hotels to eat dinner. We loved BOMA at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. You can eat at any of the hotels, some downtown Disney restaurants etc...

We never bought any food for the entire week we were at Disney and took our own bottles of water to drink at the parks. It saved us hundreds of dollars.

I believe in the off season you can stay of the value hotels for around $70 a night and get the free dining for each person in your room.

As someone else suggested visit the disney boards they have tons of advice.

12. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention we went in mid-Sept and there were practically NO lines for any of the rides. We rode several of the headlines many times in row although we did have to exit the ride and get back in line and practically walked back on the ride.

We rode Kali River Rapids about 7 times, Expedition Everest twice, Rock'n'Rollercoaster 4 times, Splash Mountain 4 times etc...

Some of the aboce rides were at the other parks like MGM or Animal Kingdom.

It was hot in Sept though.

13. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

I would stop a hour or so out and hit the grocery stores.....things at the nearby grocery stores were pricey, although cheaper than in the park....we bought a styrofoam cooler for 2.00 once we got there....saved room of not having a full size cooler in the vehicle with everything else packed.....then we left it as we headed out.....so we could travel comfortably.

I am sure the kids will want a "special treasure" from the trip....set limits for this ahead of time in regard to what will be spent.....and then look and browse all you want in the park, but you can buy same/similar items outside the park walls for 1/2 the price.

Check out some of the local bookstores in your area, or if you public library has it.....some wonderful books in regard to the "ins and outs" of disney world......also as someone else has mentioned, some excellent "boards" out there regarding Disney vacations.....and provide some great hints.....some of the books and such have discounted coupons for Disney attractions and even some local attractions.

14. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have talked to some families here that just went and they all said get the FOOD CARD. It's a lot but you will spend a lot more than that on meals any way and these meals on the cards are unlimited and the food is GREAT and it's for snacks, etc.
    I know you want to stay inside but a guy on the radio said he rented a whole house that was cheaper and bigger and nicer. He just had to rent a car, too.
    The radio show said whole communities for that are sprouting up in Fla.

15. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

I second this. We went to DW and found these guys trying to get you to take tours of their timeshares and listen to their 90 minute hard sell routine in exchange for DW tickets and some other tickets I can't remember now.

I didn't want to do this but my husband said we should just do it and have some fun with them so we did :) . I warn you though it is a very HARD sell routine. We played their game, acted like we were really interested and thinking about it and they came down to their absolute bare bones price for the timeshare. And then we said.....we'd like a day or so to think about it! They were so upset!! LOL. But they had to give us the free tickets and we had a fun day "pretending"!

16. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

For a family of 5, we came out so inexpensively that we ended up going three times.
    We drove from SC, with a cooler for picnic-ing. Our kids had never done this and found it a hoot! We took a frisbee, and would stop at rest areas, have a sandwich, fruit and play a little frisbee and move on.

We found a hotel on International Blvd, each time for $49.00 a night, and we took a single inflatable mattress for the spare kid. We picnic-ed in the hotel room. Our hotel was a high rise and we had the most wonderful view.

We bought 7 days of tickets, for $24 more, per person, than two days worth of tickets. We also went to Sea World once and it was wonderful! Our tickets were parkhoppers, so we could go between parks on disney's transportation, which was nice. We'd start each day with the free breakfast at the hotel. The lady at the breakfast, a hotel employee, smiled and packed me some bagels with the individual peanut butter and jelly packets and a little plastic knife. She said "you'll be needing this". It proved priceless! PB& J didn't spoil in our backpack.

BIG HINT At all Disney parks, at any restaurant/ stand that sells cola's, you can ask for and get FREE ice water in a cup, ANYTIME you want. Therefore, NO reason to purchase bottled water.

So, we ate breakfast at hotel, took PB&J sandwiches and crackers, slim jims, etc for lunch and ate ONE meal a day at the park, in the better restaurants. Our favorite was the BeirGarten (sp) at Epcot.

We stayed for every single parade or light/fireworks show, and went back to the hotel late. Each night, we offered the kids a 'fast food' snack and every night, they wanted to go to the hotel and 'eat in the bed' (something not allowed at home).

We had a blast and look forward to going again.

17. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

We just camped with the church for 4 days at Disney's Ft. Wilderness campground. It is about $40 per night, but well worth it. The bathrooms are heated or air conditined, depending on the weather. There was an ice machine and laundry facilities. Every night there is a sing-a-long with characters Chip & Dale followed byDisney movies (we saywBambi, The Pacifier, High School Musical, Tarzan) outdoors on a huge drive-in-movie type screen which has rows of benches built out of logs and 2 campfire stations for doing your own hot dogs and s'mores (this could be dinner!). Best of all, we could catch a boat at the marina or a bus at any of the bus stops at the campsites and go anywhere in Disney World we wanted. This would come in handy: go to a park in the morning and come back to the campsite for a nap in the afternoon, then after making and eating dinner, go back to a park for the rest of the evening.

We always carry water bottles and peach tea mix and use the water fountains for making our beverages.

18. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

I took my son and SO and we stayed at the Disney Hilton free..by taking a tour of the Hilton timeshare property which was great because it was lowkey and we got to see a resort at our convenience (made the appointment for early morning). Ended up with 4 days and 3 nights free at the Disney Hilton within walking distance of Disney World. Saved me a ton of money - I think I paid 99.00 for package and that included tickets for two days at Disney or the Universal Studios park - we chose Universal Studios because my son loves rollercoasters and movies...lol..

All in all - 4 days and 3 nights including one meal out per day and gas to get there cost me about 500.00.

Not a bad little trip~!