Need rose nursery specializing in Zone 3

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BeckyW, Jan 17, 2005.

1. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

For a dear friend in Maine on a gorgeous 500 acre farm I like sending flowers for those special occasions - but not from the florist, instead the kind that grow in her garden.

I'm a huge fan of David Austin roses, alas, they are zone 5. She's actually right on the edge of 4 but to be safe, she always looks for zone 3 hardiness.

Any suggestions? Any recommendations of roses to consider? (The request is that it must be pink and it must be very fragrant!)

Thanks --
    Becky

2. Merri

Merri Well-Known Member

I am in zone 3 also. I have a four roses from the "Explorer" series (originated in Canada, I believe) and have been happy with them. From what I've read, northern hardy roses tend to be less fragrant, but one of the bushes I planted last year has huge, bright pink (almost burgundy) flowers, and is VERY fragrant. Another variety has delicate pink blooms, and you can smell them when you put your nose right up to them, but not when you are just near the bush. I would honestly run outside and look at the tags to tell you the names, if it wasn't -20 out there. I bought mine locally, but I think you could do a search and find a catalog online that has that series. If I have time later, I'll do a search. Your Maine friend is lucky to have such a thoughtful friend as you!

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

zone 3 a here.
    McFayden nursery in Brandon, Manitoba offers the Grootenvorst (sp?) series. I think they are of rugosa stock and have variety of colors of yellow, pink, red, and orange.
    I grew a hardy Persian Yellow. It blooms better if fertilized, but hasn't had any serious winter kill. There are some beuatiful cultivation with these winter hardy types in this area with some care and the right pruning, fertilizing, etc.

4. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

Hansa is a pink rugosa and VERY fragrant:)

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

What?! I thought roses were expensive annuals in Zone 3!

They certainly seem to be here in Zone 4! :haha:

6. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Thank you to all for your input. I thought I'd share some information I found in searching posted by the Canadian Rose Society.
    They recommend the following Old Garden Roses (most of which are very fragrant) that do well in Zone 4 and even into 3 although they do prefer some winter protection:
    Felicite Parmentier; Henri Martin; Louise Odier (a beautiful old-cottage type rose, pink, that is very fragrant and repeat bloomer!); Mme. Hardy; Mrs. John Laing; Rosa Mundi; Rose de Rescht; Salet; Moss; Stanwell Perpetual.

In the Explorer series, the following roses are all in the fragrant to lightly fragrant category however all are hardy in Zone 2 and 3 without any winter protection. I've listed only the pinks and one red (the only one rated very fragrant):
    Jens Munk (Zone 2); Martin Frobisher (a real beauty! Zone 2); John Davis (a beautiful climber, zone 3); Cuthbert Grant (red and strongly fragrant, zone 3).

Most of these roses are sold at www.heirloomroses.com My next stop is gardenwatchdog.

I hope this helps anyone else looking for fragrant roses for zones 3/4!
    Now, how to pick just one! :confused: Such a lovely problem to have!!!
    BW