Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to get a propane refrigerator and a propane freezer. We have been looking at the Crystal Cold brands. I am thinking about the 17 cu. in. refrigerator only unit and also the Blizzard freezer.

We are interested in any reviews of these products by owners. Any thoughts on propane refrigerators are very welcomed too!

Thanks so much for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
But Sherry, if you go propane you are still dependent on an outside source for power amd once your tanks are empty and no deliveries possible you are out of luck for refrigeration. Going solar at least hooks you up to a renewable power source, even though those storage batteries will give out in 10 years or so.

Plus a quick search shows even at discount those 2 appliances in LP will run at a minimum $4500 and you could purchase a LOT of solar panels/batteries for that $$ and use your current appliances. But to each their own. Have you priced the propane lately in your area?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I have thought of propane too...but have looked at them and felt that they are on the small size. Guess we are spoiled with the big refrigerators with all the bells and whistles. If you would be able to fill your own propane tanks that might work for you. Check into how much propane they would use and see if you are willing to pay for delivery or yourself for re-fills. We have propane for our hot water and kitchen stove during the summer months and find the less propane you use the more you pay. Currently wea re paying approx. $4.39 a # or gallon to fill the cylinders which are 100 # size. Tractor supply will refill any size tanks for $2.50...so this might be something you culd consider. Good Luck...

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But Sherry, if you go propane you are still dependent on an outside source for power amd once your tanks are empty and no deliveries possible you are out of luck for refrigeration. Going solar at least hooks you up to a renewable power source, even though those storage batteries will give out in 10 years or so.

Plus a quick search shows even at discount those 2 appliances in LP will run at a minimum $4500 and you could purchase a LOT of solar panels/batteries for that $$ and use your current appliances. But to each their own. Have you priced the propane lately in your area?
Thanks goatlady..we know how much the appliances cost. We are wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. We plainly do not have any experience with the solar..don't know how to hook the thing up and we have two months to get something other than the power company in place. Any suggestions on who to call to come put it up and get it running for us is welcome.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
We used to have an old Serval gas reefer, it worked fine and was a regular size. That was in the 70's. Now I'd suggest buying a salvaged refer from a travel tralior. The one in our 5th wheel was quite large and would also use electricty.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
We used a Danby propane fridge for years while we were off-grid and I absolutely loathe propane fridges. They are too small and soot up at the most inopportune times.
We finally switched to a "same size on the outside, but much roomier on the inside" very efficient electric fridge and it was wonderful.

We also used a Frostek propane freezer (the biggest one you can buy) and it worked well but (same as fridges) lose a lot of room compared to the same size electric freezer. We eventually sold it and bought a comparable electric freezer.

As much as I dislike them though compared to electric, they do work well and are a good solution when you don't have solar and need refrigeration and freezer. They are pretty efficient as far as propane usage. At least ours were. We bought both new within the last 10 years and they both sold quickly for a decent price when we decided to switch to electric.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
I had a Sibir for 14 years... finally died one afternoon about three months after I'd got hooked up to the grid. Ran mine off free natural gas, and I absolutely loved it. Yes, it sooted up the ceilings and over the years, it got worse.

IF you have nothing else available, they ARE the cat's pajamas. However... they are small, and if you put anything room temp in the fridge, it takes forever to suck the heat out (that's how they work) and cool it down. Once cold stuff would stay cold. You cannot have Ice Cream and Ice at the same time. As the freezer pulls heat out (instead of pushing cold in) ice cream melts when you put in a tray of water... simply couldn't have both, long term.

They sometimes 'die', and you have to clean them out completely, and turn it upside down for 24 hours, and then upright them, and cross your fingers it'll work again.

I'd never go back, willingly. I love ice. I love ice cream. I am in the market for another gas fridge, just in case civilization goes on vacation and the grid goes with it.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
I had a Sibir for 14 years... finally died one afternoon about three months after I'd got hooked up to the grid. Ran mine off free natural gas, and I absolutely loved it. Yes, it sooted up the ceilings and over the years, it got worse.

IF you have nothing else available, they ARE the cat's pajamas. However... they are small, and if you put anything room temp in the fridge, it takes forever to suck the heat out (that's how they work) and cool it down. Once cold stuff would stay cold. You cannot have Ice Cream and Ice at the same time. As the freezer pulls heat out (instead of pushing cold in) ice cream melts when you put in a tray of water... simply couldn't have both, long term.

They sometimes 'die', and you have to clean them out completely, and turn it upside down for 24 hours, and then upright them, and cross your fingers it'll work again.

I'd never go back, willingly. I love ice. I love ice cream. I am in the market for another gas fridge, just in case civilization goes on vacation and the grid goes with it.
We didn't have any problems with having ice cream and ice but what we did was keep a dishpan in the freezer and fill it with ice we bought at the market every now and again. Worked perfectly.:grin:
I complained ferociously but...I went from the "dream fridge" ( a subzero) to a propane fridge and that probably explains a lot of my griping. My fridge in the cabin is still too small but we have a "freezer shed" across the yard that holds our two big freezers and an huge upright fridge that you can flip a switch on, and it becomes a freezer. Now it just seems normal to traipse across the yard to get something from the big fridge. What we do to live where we do....

·
Registered
665 Posts
The flame is very small, and the same result can be accomplished by using a candle to provide the heat source should you run out of propane temporarily. Another forum I am on said a ceramic bead heater heat tape reaches high enough temperatures to cycle it as well and can can be run from 12v, or as his is, from a 120v generator.

You could also use wood gas to provide the flame if you have a little ingenuity, as well as a kerosene or lamp oil base with a wick.

Propane fridges are a good thing to have, there are so many ways to use them without propane :) if you absolutely must.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
What I'd really love is an Crosby Icy-Ball set up... any heat source (solar, wood, gas, etc.) will cycle the apparatus and generate very cold temps...

Reactions: TraderBob

·
Registered
665 Posts
What I'd really love is an Crosby Icy-Ball set up... any heat source (solar, wood, gas, etc.) will cycle the apparatus and generate very cold temps...
There are some plans out there to build them. Someday I might get around to building one. I think they are a great option. Finding one now, an original, is almost impossible, and if you do, you'd have to sell your first born to pay for it, I bet :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have a large Servel fridge. It was made in 1946. Works great. Paid $75. We think that the old vintage shape looks really cool.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
We didn't have any problems with having ice cream and ice but what we did was keep a dishpan in the freezer and fill it with ice we bought at the market every now and again. Worked perfectly.😁
I complained ferociously but...I went from the "dream fridge" ( a subzero) to a propane fridge and that probably explains a lot of my griping. My fridge in the cabin is still too small but we have a "freezer shed" across the yard that holds our two big freezers and an huge upright fridge that you can flip a switch on, and it becomes a freezer. Now it just seems normal to traipse across the yard to get something from the big fridge. What we do to live where we do....
this old post made me grin.
I hated that propane fridge so much that when we moved and remodeled the kitchen in the new house we bought a monster fridge that’s like, 7 feet tall and over 4 feet wide. I love it so much. The first year or so that I had it I was like Gollum and the ring with it. “My precioussssss”.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Didnt the state of California make a only electric everything policy. No gas stoves or appliances, heating systems can be sold.? Everything needs to be electric soon to make all cars electric.
Did you see that Texas folks that have smart electric meters have have the power company remotely control the temperature in homes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We want to get a propane refrigerator and a propane freezer. We have been looking at the Crystal Cold brands. I am thinking about the 17 cu. in. refrigerator only unit and also the Blizzard freezer.

We are interested in any reviews of these products by owners. Any thoughts on propane refrigerators are very welcomed too!

Thanks so much for your input.
we have a Unique refrigerator. We’ve had it for 4 years and it’s worked perfectly for us!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts