Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first CSA share last Thursday. I received Mustard Greens, Kale, Salad Turnips, and Spicy Green Mix. I have never eaten or prepared any of these foods.

I need help with recipes!! I really don't want to throw all this good food out. Anyone have time tested recipes?

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Mmmmm... KALE.... My FAVORITE!

Slice it or shred it and saute it in hot oil (I like either olive or sesame oil) with a tablespoon or so of sesame seeds and some minced garlic.... You can add it to soup, too -- the last five minutes or so. Delicious!

As a matter of fact, *ALL* greens can be prepared like this -- the spicy greens I'd use as a salad base with some berries and nuts and a light vinagrette.

You're making my mouth water just thinking about it...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Ah, July in the interior. We usually just steam the greens and eat them with a bit of vinigar. We also shove greens into the juicer and make shots of green goodness. Man we have tons of kale, mustard etc.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
We joined a CSA last year. I also didn't know what to do with the cold weather crops. I chopped them up and threw them in my regular stir fry and put it over rice. Every CSA pickup day became stir fry night!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Just treat them all as you would spinach. Boil them on their own as a vegetable (add onions or bacon if you like, or serve with a white sauce), or toss them into stirfries, or use them raw in salads, or add a little to quiches.

Over in the cooking section you'll find many threads on 'greens'. Here's my search result for 'kale':

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/search.php?searchid=1370605

In most cases, you can substitute one green for another.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Put the water on for pasta and start some spaghetti when it's ready.

Meanwhile, in a big skillet, heat some olive oil then add the torn/chopped greens and plenty of chopped garlic. If you have mushrooms, eggplant, green beans etc, you can cut them up and add them, too. When the greens are wilted, add a little bit of liquid (water, wine, chicken stock), and let it simmer until the liquid is almost gone and the pasta is cooked.

Meanwhile, grate some hard cheese, like parmesan or romano - I use a lot, like a couple of cups for 1 lb pasta. Chop some fresh tomatoes and fresh basil.

Get a big pasta bowl ready. Break two eggs into the bowl and beat them.

When the pasta is ready, drain it then put it in the bowl. Put the cooked vegetables on top and toss it all together. The heat of the pasta will cook the eggs. Add the cheese, fresh ground pepper (salt if you like), fresh tomatoes and basil and toss again. Serve.

L

·
0 Posts
I put 1 or 2 tbs water in the bottom of the pan, and just wilt them with a tsp or so bacon grease. I can't stand them overcooked.

Since you've never had them before, you may find them bitter, so you'll want to add a pinch of sugar.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Wash, drain and chop the kale, and greens.
Start pasta water and cook when water boils, I like wide egg noddles
sautee med-high 3 pods large garlic and 1/4 red onion in about 2 tbl olive oil,
When onions are clearer add 1/2 tsp cumino into the oil & stir.
When you smell it cooking, add the greens and toss with the hot oil.
lightly salt and pepper. A little Tony's chachere's is good too, but go easy on it.
while it's cooking, crumble onto a plate 1 small package (is it 8 oz?, sorry don't remember) of goat cheese. If you can find the spiced goat cheese even better.

Cook greens until wilted and bright green.
put in goat cheese and stir
You can also pour in 1Cup of cream if you have it (is that 1/2 pint?)
reduce heat to low
when cheese melts, but no more than 4 minutes, turn off heat

Poor over pasta

I've always wanted to add pine nuts to this recipe but haven't yet.

enjoy, i always do

update: updated recipe after looking in my file & you can dice 1/2 jalapeno and throw in with the garlic and onion too.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
You can use any type of greens for this ~

Shred greens and steam or saute until wilted. Are you familiar with Bragg's? If not, you can use soy sauce. Toast some pumpkin seeds, then toss with the greens and sprinkle with toasted seeds. Eat as is, or toss with pasta or rice.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
ajaxlucy said:
Put the water on for pasta and start some spaghetti when it's ready.

Meanwhile, in a big skillet, heat some olive oil then add the torn/chopped greens and plenty of chopped garlic. If you have mushrooms, eggplant, green beans etc, you can cut them up and add them, too. When the greens are wilted, add a little bit of liquid (water, wine, chicken stock), and let it simmer until the liquid is almost gone and the pasta is cooked.

Meanwhile, grate some hard cheese, like parmesan or romano - I use a lot, like a couple of cups for 1 lb pasta. Chop some fresh tomatoes and fresh basil.

Get a big pasta bowl ready. Break two eggs into the bowl and beat them.

When the pasta is ready, drain it then put it in the bowl. Put the cooked vegetables on top and toss it all together. The heat of the pasta will cook the eggs. Add the cheese, fresh ground pepper (salt if you like), fresh tomatoes and basil and toss again. Serve.
I never thought to add egg like that. I going to try it!~

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for your great ideas!
I grew up in VT where we ate dandelions and fiddleheads instead of kale, I guess.

I will try all those ideas since I have extra kale and mustard greens.
I made my own quiche tonight for supper using about 6 leaves of kale:

4 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. of 1/2 & 1/2
dashes of salt, pepper, and nutmeg
(mix those together)
1 c. onions, chopped
6 leaves of kale, stems removed and cut into strips
1 can of salmon, drained and flaked
1/4 c. flour
(mix all these together)
1 pie crust (precook at 400F for about 6 min)

Add salmon/kale mixture to cooked pie crust. Add enough egg mixture to fill in all the spaces. Slice a tomato and place on top.

Bake at 400F for about 50 minutes or until puffy and light brown.

AMAZINGLY it turned out wonderful. I really enjoyed the flavor of the kale and the texture was something different. I wonder if I can freeze these quiches for future lunches.

Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts