Need Recipee For Pickled Eggs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by daisymae joanie, Mar 7, 2005.

1. daisymae joanie

daisymae joanie Active Member

Any Help Is Appreciatated,thanks.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I just put my HB eggs into a jar of pickle juice, after we ate all the pickles. It works perfectly, and it's no fuss!

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

White vinegar with pickling spices. I like to add sliced onions and lots of grannulated garlic.

Just boil your eggs 10 minutes, peel and put them in your vinegar, then in your refrigerator.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

For some real tasty and pretty eggs, add shelled hard boiled eggs to a jar of pickled beets, refrigerate for a few days. Yum.
    Eggs will pickle in any of your favorite pickle recipes. I'm lazy, so I usually put them in a jar of leftover pickle juice. I prefer claussens dills. We also like them sweet so put them in the leftover juice from cucumber chips. If you want to do a whole bunch or just keep them longer, it is best to heat the juice before you add the eggs.

5. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

6. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I always pickle mine w/ beet pickle juice, too. And I am so glad you posted this daisymae joanie.....I make pickled eggs every year for Easter and until you posted this, I had forgotten to start any!! :eek: Guess I'd better get some started tomorrow night or they won't be ready for Easter. Thanks! :)

7. RevlonEyes

RevlonEyes Active Member

I grew up with alot of PA Dutch Receipes. Take one dozen eggs hard boil and peel. In a large jar add 1 cup beet juice (if not enough juice in a can to make a cup add water to bring it up to level) 1 cup sugar and 1 cup vinegar. Mix all together and refrig for several days. Making sure all eggs are covered. The darker the color the better the eggs will be. Enjoy.

8. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

So if you do put eggs in pickle juice, how long will they last????

9. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

If you have a family, like mine, they don't last near as long as they could. We used to pickle our quail eggs, and they would be eaten up as fast as they were put in.

I would imagine, eggs would last a few days, 1 week at the longest.

10. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

It takes at least a week for the pickle to get all of the way to the yolk of a chicken egg. We have kept ours (in the fridge) for over 2 months, I'm not sure the max. time you could leave them there.

11. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

Here's one I found. I add one small habanaro pepper as well because I like mine a little spicey.

24 eggs
    6 cups Cider vinegar
    2 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1 tablespoon Whole allspice
    1/2 tablespoon Mace
    1/2 tablespoon Coriander seeds
    1/2 tablespoon Cardamon seeds
    1/2 tablespoon Cloves
    10 Small hot red peppers
    3 tablespoons Sugar

Cook eggs in simmering water for 15 minutes. Place eggs in cold water, remove shells and pack into sterilized jars; in a kettle combine vinegar, spices and sugar. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour hot liquid over hardboiled eggs. Place lid on jar and store in refrigerator when cooled. Use within a month.

12. athome in SD

athome in SD Well-Known Member

Ohhh yummmm!
    I have 7 or 8 dz eggs in the fridge and a bucket to clean up yet, guess what
    I am going to be making!!!
    Thanks for the inspriation!

athome in South Dakota