Need pressure cooker help ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Sep 13, 2004.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

....cause the roast is cooking! :)

I just bought a new 6 qt. Mantra SS Pressure Cooker. It's been on full heat for nearly 1/2 hour and it still doesn't seem to be "up to pressure". It's blowing vapor like crazy out the pressure guage, but it is also coming out the far side of the lid, too, so I don't think pressure has built up and sealed it.

It says that once it builds up pressure, it will "hiss" and then I should turn down the heat until I get an occassional "puff" of steam out the regulator.

I used to have an older pressure cooker with the gauge that rocked back and forth. I could TELL what that one was doing. I'm stumped on this one.

I'm afraid to let it go TOO long for fear of it running dry. (2 cups water)

Anyone have any ideas --- fast????!!

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It hasn't sealed. Turn it off. Let it cool until you can open the lid. Check to make sure the seal is in place then put a little veg oil on the seal. If the meat still needs to cook, put the lid back on and try again.

3. cc-rider

I think you're right. But there is a slot on the lid opposite the handle....how CAN it seal??

I let it cook until I could smell it burning. :( Took it off the heat and let it cool only about 5 minutes and it opened up without even having to vent it -- so I know it wasn't sealed.

I'll try washing the lid and seal, putting oil on it and try again. Heck, roast is already burnt on the outside so I might as well try to see if I can make the inside cook before throwing it out, huh??

Maybe if I just wash out the whole thing it won't smell so burnt... I'll try that first.

I'll let you know.....Thanks!!!

4. cc-rider

Ok... I give up!!!

I've had it on full heat for over 20 minutes and it still hasn't "sealed". Still hissing under the lid. I don't think it is going to seal no matter what I do!

I washed the whole kit-n-caboodle well, oiled the seal and tried again. It is locking fine, just not ever building up pressure.

I think it's going to get a one-way-trip back to Wally World tomorrow. :(

In the meantime, my kitchen is all steamed up, burnt-smelling, and I wasted a $6 roast. And it is nearly 9 pm and we haven't had dinner yet. :(

Ah well.... looks like it is back to my favorite dinner - oatmeal and toasted homemade bread. :)

5. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

CC get your money back and try another one, its most likely a defect in the lid. I hate to think about my wifes pressure cooker not working, that thing is a time and life saver. We have five kids and when they get ready to eat they do not want to wait and hour for peas to cook.

6. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

When I was a kid my mother had one that dinged when it was ready. One day she got busy and was just waiting for the ding to start, well it did not start something got lodged in the hole. About one hour later we heard it explode there were peas all over the ceiling the walls were covered it took her two hours to clean it up. :haha:

7. Cyngbaeld

Mine was a wedding gift in '82 and I use it constantly. Don't know how many times I've replaced worn out seals! I would definitely take it back and get another one. Such a time saver!

8. cc-rider

Yeah, I've tried it 4 times since I've had it. First two times was chicken, and it seemed fine. After thinking about it, however, I think that I just COOKED it in the pan, and not PRESSURE cooked it, because it seemed to work just like last night.

And then last night's fiasco. :no:

What brand do you have? I really like the stainless steel ones... if they work!!! Does yours have the regulator that sits on top and jiggles, or this new-fangled one that I can't tell if it is doing anything or not?

9. Cyngbaeld

Mine is a stainless steel Presto. It has the weight on top that jiggles. It is still as good as it was in 82! I do need to order a new seal pretty soon tho. They last quite a while, I replace them about every 3 yrs.