Need poop shoot ideas...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Back2Basix, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just finished hanging my cages and i plan on picking the bunnies up this weekend. I still need to build a poop shoot of sorts though and would love some simple cheap diy options.

I've been thinking just a slanted board underneath with a "PVC catch" pitched into a bucket or out the wall onto the ground. What is not shown in the picture is the plastic i placed on the walls in case they spray.

Any ideas??

2. Back2Basix

Forgot to attach picture

Attached Files:

3. Radams1265

Radams1265 Well-Known Member

I would plastic the back wall before you put buns in there or the osb will be ruined

Maura likes this.
  4. Back2Basix

Yeah that i did after i took the picture. Used medium gauge visquine (sp?l

5. Radams1265

Radams1265 Well-Known Member

I also used a piece of osb and covered with visquine and hung it underneath

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd have the ramp (I think that's what you are talking about), but cover it with a layer of straw. It would be much more sanitary for them and less smelly than an open sewer. The straw would then go into the garden or a compost pile.

7. thumbsup

thumbsup Member

I think you don't need a poop chute. My life was changed when I implemented Fire-Man's (look him up Fire-Man) manure screen. Basically same thing, you'd have ramp and above that is a screen that catches the manure and lets the urine fall through. In my setup, the urine falls straight to the earth with no plants or anything to worry about burning. These screens are like your window screens, frame and all - nothing fancy.

In your setup you could have "pee gutter" that channels the urine outside of the building maybe?

The manure is disposed by sliding the screen out, like a drawer, and you dispose of it where you want. The benefit of this is that the manure is air dried so the smell is down, flies are kept down, etc. The only time you get wet, stinky, fly manure is when you let it pile up on the screens. Other than that, my manure is like dry pellets.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/worm-bins.542080/#post7757750

In post #9 of this thread you see that Fire-Man posted a picture up close of how he suspends the back of the screen. You can also see my questions and his answers. For me, at least I found this setup to be a game changer. I tried the typical hanging cage, ramp setup like in Storey's. I also tried the hanging tarp and using water to wash down the manure to a collection bucket. But I was met the same problems, wet, stinky manure.

FYI that thread is on worm bins, which I too have. So I also eliminated another step of rinsing the manure of excess urine. You can see how I loathe wet manure lol.

Hope that helped.

Fire-Man likes this.
  8. Back2Basix

Yes Fire-Man was a huge help before i picked these up, he's a wealth of knowledge. I saw his idea about the screens but figured instead of messing with the manure screens AND urine gutters, i would just combine them into 1. Unfortunately everything is inside my garage at the moment and its piling up on a bed of straw and lime scattered underneath. Id love to move them outside into a shed with dirt floors but i need the shed first

Fire-Man likes this.