Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing kratky for several years and finally going to try a strawberry or lettuce tower build. I know how I am going to run the plumbing but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the name of the fittings are! I've never worked with irrigation line before.

I am wanting to come off of my submersible pump with a 1/2 inch tube. Then have it go to 1/4 inch tubes into the tops of the vertical pipes. How do I attach the 1/4 inch tubes? It looks like there is something that attaches to the 1/4 inch tube and then maybe punctures the 1/2 inch tube with a barb fitting?

I have been looking for over an hour and nobody mentions the names of these. A link would be most gratefully appreciated.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw those but they aren't exactly what I am looking for. The thing I am looking for literally attaches a 1/4" tube into a larger tube. The fitting in the link looks to be a flow controller. I just want to go down to a 1/4" tube without a flow control. I'll have the pump on a timer. I want nutrient solution flowing over my roots as this will be my first vertical installation I'm more concerned with too little than too much.

I'm thinking of putting something inside of the pipe tower to direct the flow towards the roots in individual openings.

·
77,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to be able to post pictures from my computer but I cannot seem to figure out how to do that. It keeps asking for a URL. This is the youtube video my idea is based off of. The design is still in my head. If you look at the top part of the system you can see there is a bigger supply line with 1/4" tubing coming off of it to feed each vertical section of pipe.

Dang it. I tried to post the URL. Really don't like this format. Ok maybe you can copy and paste.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics with your phone. Then “upload a file”
Ah ha!!! I kept thinking to myself....but it doesn't give me the option to upload a file! I kept hitting the gallery button where it says to copy a URL. I feel more than a bit dense. Have I mentioned that 2020 has been a rough year personally as well as on a world wide basis?
Found the big red button finally. Thank you.

roots.jpg

·
77,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I would need a threaded tee in order to go from pvc to a 1/4 inch tube barb. That would add to the cost. Just checked Lowe's and they are .71 plus the threaded fitting is .86 each off of Amazon. I'll keep that in mind as an option but it would be nice to find something that I can use tubing with.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,288 Posts
Have you walked through the drip irrigation department at Lowe's and talked to the guy with the greyest hair? That usually works for me.

·
77,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you walked through the drip irrigation department at Lowe's and talked to the guy with the greyest hair? That usually works for me.
That would mean I would have to go into the store. Been trying to avoid going into stores. I would dearly love to go in and do that and I am sure you are correct. That is why I am needing the name so I can order them.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts