need plans or help designing a walking plow

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by crwilson, Mar 17, 2005.

1. crwilson

crwilson Well-Known Member

hey folks I have about 15 acres to work with and i plan on training a team of oxen to work with im just wondering how hard it would be to build a walking plow, they look pretty simple in pictures, and ive never seen one in real life, so its hard to tell if they have any major aspects to them that i may be missing in the pics.

Would it be hard to build one do you think? and does anyone have any plans or have they done it before

Thansk rick.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't done this, but you might look in the Small Farmer's Journal. There are various advertisments that may interest you. The last issue had articles on using oxen. Gosh, I thought they were some special breed, they're just cattle, dairy or otherwise, used to pull. Use heavy meat breeds for strength, dairy breeds with long legs for speed, or a cross of the two for stronger than dairy but faster than meat.

Mules and donkeys can also be used, and you can ride them. :yeeha:

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Back in the 1920s to 1950s (approximately) the John Deere company published many editions of a book title "Operation Care and Repair of Farm Machinery". The earlier editions had more information about horse drawn equipment and as the editions got newer there was more tractor and less horse info. This might be a good reference to understand how a plow works. They are often avialable on eBay, but have become collectible. Makes me wish I would have bought all of them when the local school where we lived at the time got rid of stacks of them from the Agriculture classes because they were outdated.

Jim

4. Buggs

Buggs Member

Occasionally old walking ploughs come up at auctions. Tha Amish still use them and they are probably still made in some Amish communities.

5. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

If you had the plow bottom I do not think it would be very hard, but if your trying to make from scratch, the lath? mole board and land slide, would be MY guess more than the average shop person would be able to do easily, the frame of it would not be to hard if you know how to weld, a little,

If you PM me with your email address I could send you some pictures of one (my son was hauling iron and there was one in the iron he was hauling and i had him pick it up for me. It is in rough shape but would work or make a nice yard ornament,

but easer to use would be a sulky plow (one you ride) you would not have to fight the oxen and the plow in trying to keep it in the ground and working, and if you give up and use a tractor, you could,

I am not telling you how to do it, plowing that way will take you some time,

http://dict.die.net/acre/
    Source: Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Acre
    is the translation of a word (tse'med), which properly means a
    yoke, and denotes a space of ground that may be ploughed by a
    yoke of oxen in a day. It is about an acre of our measure (Isa.
    5:10; 1 Sam. 14:14).