Need piglet in Texas that can drink 5 gallons of milk a day!!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Ark, May 9, 2006.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

LOL

I have 5 gallons of goat milk TOO MUCH each day and I would be happy if I didnt HAVE TO make cheese every day just to use up the milk. :p

Can someone please advise me on what kind of pig might be able to help me out with my problem and what age would be best to get, and how much it might cost?

Thanks!
    Rachel

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not find A few bottle calves, Or A few piglets?????

3. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

That's what I am looking for! A piglet or two! :)

Dont know about a bottle calf.... not a bad idea at all, but $ is tight. Also, I HATE buying at the auction, so would rather buy from an individual.

Thanks!

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Five gallons of milk is enough to feed a 250lb pig, lol. You could feed a whole litter of piglets. :)

I feed my extra goat's milk to the piglets too. Just took in two hogs yesterday- 200,220 lbs raised primarily on goat's milk, a little whey, household scraps, and some cob and rolled barley.

I feed milk to my lgd too, and chickens love it - especially layers who really use the calcium. So when I have over and above what I need to feed pigs (three piglets no big hogs) the dog and chickens get dibbs. Goats will drink whey from cheese making too. Some like it, some don't. At least I don't feel guilty since nothing goes to waste!

Bottle calves drink more milk initially than a piglet would, although eventually the piglet will become a bigger eater. Do you have any dairies close by? I know jersey bulls are pretty cheap. Friend of mine bought five at auction - two survived, but they cost her two dollars a head, so even with the loss - it was five dollars a head initial cost. Raised hers on goat's milk.

I understand not wanting to buy from an auction, however. In this neck of the woods (er, saguaros) piglets are selling for $75 each. The piglet I bought at auction? $20. The $20 piglet was just as healthy, and tasted just as good as my $75 ones, lol. Just be careful and watch them in the holding pens for awhile ahead of time. I bought one with the squirts one time - kefir and putting him on dirt cleared him right up.

niki

5. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Are you still milking by hand??? Youre just gonna have to sell some more of those goats Rachel!!!! If you decide you want to part with Annie's mom (the one who raised her) LET ME KNOW. Bottle babies sux. (for me anyway).

6. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Hmmm... a whole litter..... :hobbyhors ... well, it's a zoo around here already!!!
    LOL
    Dont think we want to spend $75 each.

We do feed all the whey back to the goats. I have not yet given milk to the chickens, but I might as well! The dog is loving it.

If SOMEONE would just trade me some piglets for some goats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel

7. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I wish you were close to me, I'd take some of that milk! I'd even help you with your goat feed bill to get some of that milk!!

8. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

Rachel there is a place outside SA that has York Shire they get really big I like the breed I hope to get one from them someday too. Last I heard they were asking $30 a pig but I could be wrong. He comes to San Antonio sometimes I heard

Paradise Farm

Sam

9. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I wish you were closer too! :Bawling: :Bawling: :Bawling: :Bawling:

10. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

THANKS SAM!!! I will look into that. Hopefully he's not too far away, since gas is so expensive. I am making a 5 gallon batch of cheese every day, and I am SO tired. Some relatives came over today and I sent some eggs, cheese, and 10 gallons of milk home with them. So, that means for 2 days I can fit milk into the freezer again. LOL. A 2 day break. YAYAYAYAY!!! :p :dance: :)

11. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Joy, I just CANT sell Legacy/Annie's adoptive mom. She's special. :)
    But so is Annie, and you got her, didnt you??? LOL
    How about a nice Saanen, Alpine, or Alpine/Nubian mix??
    I am talking to a guy right now about getting a LM buck so next year I will have LM babies for ya!! And for me. We only have 2 LM does but they are SO cool. Gotta have more.
    Rachel

12. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

giggle. Theres a guy down here that I was gonna call and see if I could get some weiner pigs from this fall, I'll call him for you if you like. grin. I just cant imagine how you havent passed out yet you overacheiver!!!! (and thats why were friends. giggle. Nice to have someone around who understands not being able to slow down)

13. dezeeuwgoats

Ark - just how many goats are you milking? I milk by hand too - but only four....

niki

14. Ranchermom

Dang Rachel wish I had more pecans to trade you for that cheese.

Sam

15. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

All this talk of goats from you east Texans makes me wonder if anyone knows where I can get one that's kind of on the cheap side?

16. t-bird

t-bird Member

General rule of thumb is one gallon of milk per pig per day. Raised many hogs on milk and day old bread.

17. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

thanks t-bird! I'm thinking 2 or 3 piglets then. I want to let them run around free with the goats. Gotta find out if that'll work or not tho. I gave the chickens 5 gallons of milk today and they all got the squirts, but they finished every last drop!! LOL er, we DO have LOTS of chickens. Dont know how many, but it's all Joy's fault. :p She brought me a bunch and got me addicted@! :)
    niki, I was milking 9 by hand since January, but a few weeks ago my SWEEEET DH got me a milking machine!! Now, one more has kidded, so I am milking 10 with the machine and it's such a time saver. I DO miss the hand milking tho, because I always loved it.
    Sam, got any piglets you wanna trade since you are out of pecans??? Ha! :baby04:
    Oh yeah - Joy, if you call the guy about the pigs, will you deliver them for me????? :dance:

18. dezeeuwgoats

Ark - wow. I have two assistant milkers too, so I'm not always doing it by myself. ( I love to milk when I can though) I can't imagine milking that many by hand, every day, by myself. I've always wondered what the saturation point for getting a milking machine would be!

niki

19. Ranchermom

Rachel how is the milking machine going? What kind did you end up getting?
    I am thinking barrels might like something like that someday if I get any more goats especially cause I milk so slow.

Gosh there are some wild pigs around here hahaha but doubt its the kind you want the moment you let them go at your place they would be coyote bait. I will keep my eyes open last weekend they had piglets for sale in Devine but this Saturday I went I didnt see them.

Sam

20. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!! That was a typo. Or a stupid mistake.
    I have 5 EXTRA gallons a day, and I only gave them the mornings milk, after I put some in the fridge so they really only got 2 gallons.

Sam, I got the 2 goat milker with 8 gallon bucket from partsdept.com
    and I WASTED money on doing it that way. We have 2 milk stands, and even with my 9 yr old occasionally helping me, it is NO faster to milk 2 at once. The fastest way for me to do it is to milk one goat at a time, and be stripping out the other one, and letting her out and another one in while the machine is on the first goat. Right about the time she is milked out, I will have the next goat washed up and on the stand, so I just switch it over to her.

Niki, my 9 yr old is a BIG help in the milkroom. She speeds up in the in/out the door, up/down on the stand, feed/wash process. And she is AMAZING at only letting the right goats in. Mt big strong 13 yr old son thinks it's all about strength but my daughter knows it's all about using your brain, and timing. LOL RARELY do things get out of control at the door, and those girls DO try to get pushy.
    If I had 5 to milk, I wouldnt get the machine. The problem is that each time I added a goat, it was "just one more" and didnt seem worth the $ to get the bucket milker. Finally when we hit 9 goats, that was my breaking point!! :help: It was taking TOO many hrs a day!! We were saving $ for a truck to pull the trailer, and my sweet dh decided the milk machine was more important. :p