Need PIG info

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Clifford, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

Anyone know of a website that gives identifications and information of the various breeds of pigs...?

I want to share this with the kids so they can decide which kind of pigs we should get in the spring to raise for our own meat. They are kind of afraid of pigs, so I want to get them involved early on.

2. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

3. rivesjct3768

rivesjct3768 Well-Known Member

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/swine/

I have used this site many times for different species, chickens, ducks, cows, pigs, goats

4. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

Thanks for the link.

Couldn't find much on the breeds themselves. Most of the info was regarding the breeding associations and history of importation.

I'm looking for info on which pig makes the best bacon, etc. Durocs are longer (more bacon), Hamps are shorter but make bigger chops. Know what I mean?

5. chicamarun

chicamarun Well-Known Member

I would figure out HOW you are going to raise them -and maybe what is available in your area. We get our 4-H hogs from someone different then we get our pasture raised hogs because they are raised differently. Our pasture raised hogs will be duroc or tamworth because of the nice red coat and good outside - a pink skined hog would sunburn and I worry about that enough with kids. My son picks out cross breeds from a friend for 4-H, they seem to do better at our 4-H fair and they grow better with some decent running room but not a huge amount like our pasture hogs.

Hope this makes some sense :)