need pencil corn seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by liggettsmith, Aug 28, 2006.

1. liggettsmith

liggettsmith Active Member

I know an older gentleman who was sad to have lost his pencil corn seed. He said the corn cob is small like a pencil, but the corn is of normal size.

2. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

I Did A Google Search And Found Several Sources. But Maybe Someone On Ht Will Have Some To Share.

Mum

3. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Maybe this will help. Scroll almost half way down the page.

The plants grow five to six feet tall produce two to three ears per stalk. As seen in the picture, it gets its name from the fact that the cobs are not much bigger in diameter than a pencil. Stands dry weather well.
    http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/vegetable/corn/corn.html

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

5. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Sorry about the thread drift but...

Paquebot, have you ever thought about writing a book? You have so much knowledge about so many plants.

Back on topic... Is the type on the link I found not the same type? I noticed it said 75 to 100 days.. The one Shumway's sells takes 85 days.

Does a person need to give a variety a definite amount of days to maturity or will it vary depending on location and number of sunny days?

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Wow. I never even knew such a thing as pencil cob existed.

Eagerly awaiting what additional information surfaces here. :)

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

The corn on both links are the same thing. Some companies, like Victory, will use both the minimum and maximum days-to-maturity. That's because there may be a great variance due to climatic conditions. Others, like Shumway, use the average days-to-maturity.

Example at present are two 70-day varieties that I'm growing, 170A and 270A, planted on 21 June. One began giving us good ears at 60 days, the other at 65. Both will probably peak at around 75 days but their average will indeed be around 70.

No time to write a book. Gardening is full-time for me. When I ain't planting or harvesting something, I'm supplying everyone else with something to plant. I'm really probably not more knowledgeable than many other gardeners. Just have more years of experience, had good teachers, and didn't forget what I learned!

Martin