Need pantry list again

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cheryl in SD, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

A few months ago someone posted a link to a list by the LDS people that gave requirements for stocking up. Can someone repost it please?

TIA!!

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

3. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

The LDS is an international church which means they have to contend with laws of many different nations some of which may conflict with food storage.

.....Alan.

5. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

As a matter of fact, there are still alot of old laws on the books that say having any more food on hand than your family can use in a week is considered hoarding. Even in the United States, if a government official believes you are hoarding, they can seize what you have stored and share it out publicly. That is one reason the Church teaches that self sufficiency is desirable if at all possible. We share with one another anyway, that's just human nature. It also just happens to be the nature of governments to think that they know better than we do what is best for us. One thing we do learn is to use the dehydrated and other "survival" foods in our regular dietary rotation, so they are commonplace to us if we ever need them. I have a great recipe for a cheezy ham and hash brown bake that is made from dehydrated ham and hash brown potatoes. Can't tell it from the real thing-I know, cuz I asked a neighbor before I told him what was in it!! Hope this helps you out a little.

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I also thought their list was a little lacking. I did what someone suggested, made a comprehensive list using a spreadsheet of exactly what I used (not what I bought) over a month's time, and then adjusted that for the season (we eat more fresh in summer). That's the database I used to plan my pantry.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Their list is a little lacking. They tell you that in the fine print. It's meant to be the beginning framework upon which you will hang a larger, custom-tailored food storage program. No one can give you a complete, flehshed-out list because everyone has different circumstances and eats different things.

If you want a complete list you have to do what you did, derive it from your own data.

But the LDS list is a good start that you can build on which is all that it is meant to be.

.....Alan.

8. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting, Thanks for the link..

9. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Thanks! I rerally like the Food Guys site, also! The Outland site had a good list for slowly stocking your pantry.

10. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

The writer seems to stock a lot of tuna. How long can you store it when it's unopened? For that matter, how long can you store meat that you can yourself?

I like this site too - not as overwhelming.

11. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I try to keep about 52 pints of home canned meat on hand, using it as I go. i think the shelf life is about 1 year.

12. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member