Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have followed my draft horse injury situation, we are moving on to Plan B. His healing progress has stagnated, and our vet is baffled as to why. So, our vet thinks it is a great idea to send him to a much more capable veterinary clinic in Ocala, FL to continue his healing. We have family there who wants to take over his care. However, in order to make the trip, we have to break it up into 2 travel days, and give him an overnight layover to rest and hose his leg. I don't know anyone near our route. I am looking to stay somewhere between Chattanooga, TN and Macon, GA, as close to I-75 as possible.

I am looking for overnight accommodations for an 18-hand Belgian. Ideal stall would be minimum of 14x14, with ceilings at least 9 feet high, but it cannot have a run or paddock. I would appreciate a water source, but I will have buckets if not. He will be too frisky to risk turning out after a trailer ride, and then blowing out his knee. The vet does not want us to wrap it, so we will need access to a hose to hose it upon arrival and just before leaving in the morning. Otherwise, we will be pretty much self-sufficient. We will bring all hay and feed. If you have an area where I can clean out the trailer, that would be awesome, but not necessary. I have a big trailer, so I can put the muck in the other half. Also, I am an OK trailer driver, but not a great one. I would need to be able to easily turn a 20-foot trailer around to get back out (I can 3-point if need be).

If you happen to have a room for rent for myself and a very well-behaved child, on site, that would be great. If not, I can find a hotel.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not trying to be picky, but if you could possibly send a photo of the stall, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to make sure my boy's sheer size won't knock over your stall wall ;-). Don't worry, he is well behaved and well mannered (except at treatment time, which we won't be doing during the trip). I just want to make sure it is clean, safe, and sturdy. Health wise, other than the nutty knee wound, he is totally clean, and will have all health papers in order.

I am hoping to leave first thing in the morning, meaning I would need the space Tuesday eve, but that is dependent on whether our vet gets all the arrangements with the new vet and the paperwork completed in time. Please PM me any details if you are willing to host us! Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I do a lot of cross-country hauling and I tend to overnight in fairgrounds frequently. County or state, they are easy to find, usually close to interstates, plenty of room to turn around in and nearby hotels or camping right on the grounds. I'm sure they could accomodate drafts too and it's easy to check via google.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts