Need other gardeners opinion-

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, Nov 7, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I started cabbage seeds early last year, and had good cabbage plants for kraut early.
    now, from all i can read, fall cabbage makes the "best" kraut, nor sure why, something to do with water content, perhaps? now, my question, it seems to me that cabbage planted in july, for fall kraut, or storage, would be prone to more bugs/worms, simply because they're out in force by midsummer.
    does anyone have any experience with the bug/worm problem with spring versus fall cabbage? or broccoli, even??

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

If your kraut was good from your early cole plants, then go with it. I am all for adjusting planting to avoid the insect invasions, so more power to ya!

If it ain't broke, etc.

Pony!

3. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what zone you are in. But I've had great success planting in the fall (starting in august) and covering with mesh net until the first frost when most bugs die.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I think that there is some confusion as to what would be a "fall" cabbage. Kraut was always made in the fall since that is when the best kraut cabbages are ready. They are varieties which take 100+ days to mature. They grow slow and produce a very solid head. Using those for kraut, one often has to really work to pack it tight and get enough liquid to cover it. They are the ones where the kraut can be described as being "crunchy".

By contrast, there are 65-day varieties which grow fast and make great juicy slaw. Using those for kraut, having enough liquid is never a problem since the leaves are full of water. It doesn't matter if they are planted in April or July, they are never going to equal proper kraut varieties for final texture. They will make "good" kraut but never "great" kraut.

Martin