Need Orchard Help AGAIN!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pistolsmom, May 31, 2005.

1. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

"Hi Folks!" As I posted before my son recently bought a place in the country with a orchard. He has a variety of apple, peach, pear, and cherry trees. We know nothing at all about fruit trees but we "think" we have figured out which kind of tree each one is. He bought and used the fruit tree spray recomended here from my last post. We just walked over the property tonight and the trees are just beautiful!! Just loaded with fruit! But......there is one tree which for some reason my Hubby thinks is a cherry tree......it has no green on it whatsoever......didn't bloom...no sign of nothing. Should he just cut it down?? Is there anyway of telling if it's dead for sure or any possibility of bringing it back? Any info appreciated!!

2. Hollie

Hollie Well-Known Member

I would think that it is dead considering the cherry tree that I have has tons of leaves on it. If you ask me, I would say to get rid of it and start a new one as soon as possible.You should post this in the gardening and plant forum, they may know more about this.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

where are you? still waiting on some trees to leaf here including a magnolia (yes it lives just late) . check the buds on the end of branches ,if supple wait other wise cut and remove

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

You can take a sharp knife and peel away a little piece of the bark. If it's green underneath, there's still life in the tree and I'd leave it be for a while. If it's just brown and the branches are brittle, it's dead and needs to be pulled out.

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is a mulberry tree. Every year I think ours is dead because it is so late in leafing out.