Need opinions on introducing young wether to buck...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mountain Mom, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Mountain Mom

Mountain Mom Active Member

I would like to introduce my wether cashmer goat to his buck dad to share his space (Dad's a bit lonely since I moved his steer buddy to a new pasture). However, I'm not sure at what age I should do this. Dad is a couple years old and his 'son' is about 4 1/2 months old.

Need some advice and guidance.....

Thanks

2. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't help much but I have a approx 3 year old boer billy with about a dozen females of various ages and one wethered male about 5 months old. Since I got him about 6 months ago the billy has been very laid back and I have never seen him act aggressive except sort of playing with my old gelding horse. I think maybe they will be alright together.

3. wirey

wirey Member

Put my billy kid in with his dad at 3 months old. The dad is 2 years old and have had no problems. They try to push each other around but do no harm to each other. The buck is a fainter and the kid is a fainter/pygmy. They like each others company.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would wait until the wehter, is a little larger. if it were me.

5. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Put my boer wether in with his dad when he was 3 months old. His dad is almost 4. He needed the company since we sold our other buck. We comment every day how well they get along together. No fighting no pushing..nothing. The buck even lets his son put his front legs on his back when we hand out snacks - that way he's a little taller and sure to get his share :happy: . We don't know if he actually knows that it's his son or is just so glad to have a wether with him instead of another billy (all though he did look for the other buck for about 2 weeks after we sold him...they had been together for almost 2 years). .

6. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I put my boer buck kid and my la mancha buck kid in with my 2 yearling bucks (a oberhasli and a la mancha) when they where about 4-5 months old. They both weighed around 60#. They get along great. My two yearlings are layed back and easy going though. I do make sure that the young ones have plenty of room to get away from the 2 older boys should anything happen.

I shall see what happens when they come into rut. They are already starting and so far so good.

It really depends on how layed back your buck is I guess. If he is fine with smaller goats then I would say ya go for it. Just make sure that if need be your littler one has a safe place to get away.

MotherClucker

7. Mountain Mom

Mountain Mom Active Member

Thanks Guys...

These Cashmere have pretty big horns...I guess that's a small concern for me. Baby Boy's are just developing, but Dad has a beautiful set. Dad is also used to playing with a 800+ lb steer. They would have about 1 acre of space (all safely fenced) - so I guess there should be room enough if things take a little time to get chummy.

I think I'll wait until a day I can spend some serious time observing their first encounters, just in case...

Thanks Again and keep the experiences coming.