Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get grain from a bulk bin to the feeders that are 100 yards or so away. I usually dump feed into bags, trailer them to the pen, dump the bags in the feeder. I want to rig up a trailer with a V shaped bin on it that I can load from the bulk bin, pull to the pen, and auger over the fence into the feeder. (about 600 pounds max in a load)

Does anybody know where I can get a small, hand-cranked auger? Would that even work? I've thought about putting a slotted PVC pipe at the bottom of the V so the grain just drops down into the tube and the auger takes it out the end. Would hand-power be strong enough? Is there a type of auger out there where the tube would be flexible enough to pull it to the feeder, and then have a crank at the end I would turn to pull the grain out of the hopper and drop into the feeder?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Opinion on power feed auger: don't stick arms, hands, legs, feet in them. They'll rip body parts right off. Classic farm accident. Advantage of a hand crank one is you'll probably stop cranking first. :)

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I need to get grain from a bulk bin to the feeders that are 100 yards or so away. I usually dump feed into bags, trailer them to the pen, dump the bags in the feeder. I want to rig up a trailer with a V shaped bin on it that I can load from the bulk bin, pull to the pen, and auger over the fence into the feeder. (about 600 pounds max in a load)

Does anybody know where I can get a small, hand-cranked auger? Would that even work? I've thought about putting a slotted PVC pipe at the bottom of the V so the grain just drops down into the tube and the auger takes it out the end. Would hand-power be strong enough? Is there a type of auger out there where the tube would be flexible enough to pull it to the feeder, and then have a crank at the end I would turn to pull the grain out of the hopper and drop into the feeder?

Any ideas?
I don't have a solution to the problem above. Just thinking if maybe you could think of a way to move the feed closer to the feeder or feeder closer to the bin.

Today i been building a new feed shed out close to where i feed the pigs so i don't have to haul the feed 200 ft. Save me a lot of time and trouble this winter.

·
Registered
725 Posts
What you want is a "pencil auger". Usually 8-10' long, 4" diameter with a small electric motor. Readily carried by hand and simply placed into the bin. They don't move much grain by today's standards and as such languish in sheds all over the country... ask around, though few are willing to part with theirs "just in case" it might be useful... I'm still looking for mine!

If you are doing a hopper trailer try a "drill fill auger" which mount on the back of a grain truck. 12vdc, swivel mount, very handy!

Or, mod the feeder to fill through the fence line, raise the hopper a bit and use gravity to do your job. Still need an auger by your bin.

No such thing as a hand crank auger. You would be amazed at the horsepower required to move grain.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Opinion on power feed auger: don't stick arms, hands, legs, feet in them. They'll rip body parts right off. Classic farm accident. Advantage of a hand crank one is you'll probably stop cranking first. :)
This is why they have shields... only dumbies put their booger finger past the shield when running ;)

And I can't really add more good advice to this thread, so I'll just be snarky!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts