Need new wheels....advice, please!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 3ravens, Apr 29, 2006.

1. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

We're moving to West Virginia! Whoo-hoo! The old truck that works (sorta) down here in the flatlands just isn't gonna get it on the hills. Need something that can haul homestead type "stuff", climb hills, get around in snow, and hold 3-4 adults and the carseat!
    I'm thinking 4WD for sure, PU with extended or king cab, or an SUV type something-or-another. Absolutely NOT new, of course! Any recomendations?

2. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

I would find a 1998 to 1993 Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4. We have one we use every day and one that is "out to pasture" with well over 300,000 miles. The "First Generation" trucks are great working trucks and are very reliable.

3. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

Bought an old 75 dodge powerwagon, extended cab. Has done EVERYTHING I have asked of it. Been in the family for about 7 years. I have literally TRIED to get it stuck, hasnt happened yet!

What you are asking is a pretty broad question, but to me, an older 4x4 rig is the wat to go, especially if you are good with a wrench, LOL!!!! But really in all honesty, that truck has been fairly trouble free with the abuse it has seen over the years.

4. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Not sure what part of WV you're moving to. But, in my area the state road is pretty good about keeping the roads cleared. Real early in the mornings or very late at night the snow/ice can pile up. But, it usually doesn't last long. I drove 45 miles round trip each day to work & only had to call my DH a couple times to come get me with the 4x4 to bring me home! lol I'd just leave my car in the parking lot for a day or two if I had too. I do live on a road that is only accessable with a 4x4 or foot in the winter. Sometimes I'd make it to the bottom of the hill & either walk up or DH would meet me at the bottom & park my car by the church at the bottom. I usually drive a front wheel drive car. DH has a chevrolet pickup 2 wheel drive & we do have a subaru station wagon for extreme cases when we need it. No use wearing out a 4x4 when the weathers good.;) A 4x4 straight drive seems to hold up better on these WV hills than the automatics. jmho Welcome to WV!!!

5. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

Chickentracy, we're moving near Princeton, and the sidehill part is BEHIND the house, so getting to the paved road isn't going to be a problem. BUT....the paved road is one of those meet yourself coming roads, and our drive is at the bottom. Uphill both directions! :p
    mohillbilly, I guess what I need is a PU or SUV that can haul "stuff" and 3 adults plus carseat for the little guy. Maybe 5-7 years old, 4WD, towing ability a plus but not necessary, best MPG for the size. The truck we are keeping that WILL work is a Dodge 1500 4WD extended cab. The other one is a '91 Ford F150 that is plain wore out!
    Obser, SIL says good choice, but he doesn't know enough about diesels to work on them. He can shade-tree mechanic the gas ones if they are old enough to not be too computerized.

6. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

We went truck hunting today(again).

We were set on a Ford. We both had rangers and hubby just sold his. 187k but it had done him good!

If we could not find a Ford we were also trying the Dodges. We though were looking for "Diesel" 350 (3500) with bed gooseneck hitch and ext. cab.

We drove the Dodge and Ford diesels, '2000-'2002, they rode bad, very loud and very rough.

So we tried a Chevy(one I never have had or considered) Silverado, diesel, crew cab, leather, both hitches, and spotless. Got it for about 3k less than the other models were running. It is smooth, solid, straight and good power, yet very much more quit.

Anyway, you just have to try different ones.

I would (with hills and snow), definately go with a 4x4 PU With a decent size cab 250 would have a larger cab(crew cab)

Diesels are more expensive up front but will last longer.

7. akcowgirl

akcowgirl Member

We have a GMC crew cab 4x4 that we love. get around great, very comfy ride not rough at all and get about as good of gas milage as to be expected from a big truck. We had a ford that we drove before this and it was a really ruff ride. I grew up driving chevies and GMC's though so i am a very bias opinion. i also have a Ford escape which is a small Suv that get around good but as soon as we are able it will be traded in for an another chevy or gmc of some kind.

8. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Well, howdy neighbor!!!! I'm about an hour away right off I-64! Was just over Princeton last Saturday.:) I live on one of those one lane roads myself & when we first moved here it was used for logging. I'd sit at the bottom of the hill & pray I didn't meet one of those logging trucks coming down! lol You get used to it after awhile tho! We also have a few of those kiss your @$$ goodbye turns too! :dance:

9. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

3ravens, one of the beauties of the Cummins engines is you DON'T have to work on them.

With our "retired" truck, in 300,000 miles, the engine required only one fuel lift pump (common fuel pump -- 20 minute job) and a valve job. On the latter we pulled the head, had it serviced and reinstalled it -- a job any other shade tree mechanic could do in a couple hours each direction.

The non-diesel parts of the truck needed common repairs that one might expect as the miles roll by, but nothing different than a gas burner would need. And, the engine is still going strong.

There is a comment among Cummins fans to the effect that after the truck falls apart the engine will sit there in the rubble and keep running.

10. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We bought a 1998.5 4x4 24valve cummins diesel...I specifically wanted a diesel,good towing capacity and 4 wheel drive.

It is a 2500(3/4 ton) and has a towing capacity of 11,000 pounds or so.

It has been a good truck and has never gotten stuck although I haven't really taken it anywhere although I DID go through a VERY deep mudhole and almost got stuck.... :)

It gets pretty good fuel economy for the size truck-about 21 mpg or so.