Need new ISP who likes theirs?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Loveourkids3, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Loveourkids3

Loveourkids3 Well-Known Member

I currently have Juno Turbo. I was happy with the service until recently. My price has went to almost $18.00 a month. They send me a ton of junk e-mail. The inbox scrolls at the top of my screen every time there is new mail. It won't stop until I check mail very annoying. It takes forever to connect. If there is a problem with my service it's next to impossible to contact Juno for help. I get booted a lot more lately too.
    I only want a cheap reliable connection without all the hassle and ads. I want high speed when it becomes available here. Anybody have decent service that doesn't require a year long agreement? I want to drop Juno without being stuck with a year long contract with new ISP.

2. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I have Frontier. You get free CA virus,firewall and bot sotware. No problems in 5 years.

www.frontiernet.net

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

There are cheaper ones, go to www.freedomlist.com for big list of isps and their prices. I personally use www.erweb.net and havent had much in way of complaints. Its $10 per month for unlimited number of hours and I get prompt attention if I have a concern. If you only need 150hr per month or less think there are some that are under $5 per month. Dont expect lot customer service on the cheaper ones.

4. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I use iconnectto.net and have been on it for over a year. Good speed (I'm dialup), good connections, had a problem emailed them and got an answer within 12 hours. $8.88 a month...oh, and they do month to month...just have to give notice when you want to stop.

Mon

5. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

I use http://www.localnet.com/ ....it's $9.95 a month . I have the accelerator also which is $3.00 more a month and it really works great .

6. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Back when we had dial-up we used GTCInternet. They are part of a long distance company. We had long distance and internet with them and never had a problem connecting and could always get customer service. Its been a few years, however, since we stopped using them.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

7. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Hmm... We have a choice of one ISP, our local tiny phone company Tops-Tel. It is $65 per month bare-bones, no features. But, we now have DSL which is wonderful.

8. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

We have PeoplePC and it's $10.95/month. It's dial up and it's faster than the Embarq DSL (through our phone company) that we just got rid of. I don't know about the customer service since we haven't had to use it. The 10.95 includes an accelerator and internet call waiting which means you can see who's calling you when you're online. We're happy with it.

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Some people have trouble with the mandated software. There is a workaround to unofficially not use the software but terms of your agreement requires its use.

Also PPC like AOL has a reputation of playing games if you try to cancel their service. Maybe you wont have any problems, but lot people commenting on PPC have had this problem.

10. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I have Netzero HiSpeed for $15 a month. Sometimes they have specials where it's cheaper..funny you have such trouble with Juno, as Netzero is the sister company of Juno and I don't get much spam at all. I rarely, rarely have connection problems, either.

Their regular service is $10 a month. The High speed does help with my out-in-the-sticks phone lines.

11. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Well for one thing there are plenty on here that can ONLY go with one or 2 because of the Long Distance calling they may occur. So you just CAN"T go with just Anybody~!! First you have to see just what and Who is available in your area. I live 16 miles from a bigger city Where I could Use Most all them from Yahoo to MSN to others BUT I Can't because calling that number would be a Long Distant call. So I have ONLY 2 Options and really ONLY ONE for DSL. One is Frontier of which I had for 4 years But when MY OWN Phone company went to DSL I switched to them~! I have then ONLY ONE Choice my own phone company which is a coop, and has DSL Booster Boxes set up through my 2 county area. So be careful as to just WHO you choose because of making LD Charges~!!! Frontier is 9 miles from me but they ONLY Offer DSL in that city and that city Only not out in the country~! besides I would not want to use them EVEN if Frontier did offer DSL because of the Distant 8 miles is WAY to long. So ONLY IF they went around the county with booster boxes would I even consider them as a DSL Carrier.

12. chickenmommy

chickenmommy nosey, but disinterested Supporter

I have net zero high speed also, as Christina does. Never a problem staying connected, really fast page loads, absolutely no pop ups. No complaints. Never tried customer service so can't vouch for that, but have had them since they started 7 or 8 years ago. MUCH better than aol!!! When I switched, I felt like maybe I don't need to go to the doc for high blood pressure pills!

13. tchan

tchan Well-Known Member

I have Frontier also. Hateful, hateful company! But for DSL it is my only choice here. The second I can find something else that is comparably fast I will switch. My boys are real computer geeks, to the point that we build our own compters, and sacrificing internet speed is not an option(they would rather give up phone, running water,TV and most other so called luxuries than give up their DSL). If you want fast internet speed, then Frontier is great, when they haven't screwed up your line or your billing.

14. Loveourkids3

Loveourkids3 Well-Known Member

Well I signed up with People PC today. It's $4.95 for first three months then $9.95 after that. I got free accelerator, call wave, no contract. I called Juno to cancel and they offered $4.95 for forever to stay. I agreed to keep service for next 30 days for free. I really wanted to compare the two companies. I wil be canceling Juno tomorrow. I even spoke with tech support to try and resolve the issues I was having but can't tell any difference.
    People PC accelerated is much faster than Juno Turbo. It loads full quality pages of pictures faster than Juno with picture quality turned all the way down. It took less than a minute to connect versus 20 minutes. I don't have junk ads all over the place anymore. I love it so far.
    I guess I'll worry about dropping them if and when I need to.
    For those with Net Zero tech support is the same for both companies as is customer service. They were to busy reading their scripts to resolve the issues I had with my service.
    Thanks for all the input and links. Between changing my phone service and ISP this week I was able to cut expenses by about $70.00 a month and got the features I wanted and didn't have before.

15. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I use an ISP called Toast.net..Its fast (has an accelerator) costs 9.95 a month..and unlike other ISP's they don't track you or load a bunch of garbage on your computer. I am VERY happy with them.

16. Brian        N.E Ohio

Brian N.E Ohio Well-Known Member

I have been using peoplepc for about a year now. It has good speed and decent service, but... shortly after installing the software we noticed a new problem.
    When we try to load a web page like HT or others that may have ads on the page the computer will some times load the advertisers web page and not the page we intended, or more often a peoplepc error message that says "web page not found" with a web adress for an advertisers web page. We run Nortons antivirus and firewall and use Adaware regularly. It just seems that it isnt a virus-spyware issue as much as a people pc issue.
    Please let me know if you notice the same problems. I will probably be looking for a new isp also.

Loveourkids3 I pm'd you.