need new heating woodstove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tripletmom, Aug 21, 2006.

1. tripletmom

tripletmom Well-Known Member

our old King woodstove is about to be history. The firebox has holes where it has burned through! This wonderful old stove has heated our two story, 2000 sq ft, Wisconsin farmhouse for 10 years, and wasn't new when we installed it. I've hunted all over the internet but haven't been able to find another like it except for one that Northern Tool has on sale for $649.99 plus shipping. It is a Heartwood brand. We got burned by Northern Tool one time with a meat saw, so am not entirely comfortable purchasing sight unseen from them.
    This is one of those cabinet type stoves and we'd like to replace it with one like it. We really aren't interested in a cast iron stove. Anyone got any ideas or are aware of any company that makes these types of stoves?
    Thanks!

2. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

I have an Ashley wood stove that is just like the Heartwood you are talking about. We have used it for 3 years and it works great. They also make Wonderwood cabinet stoves, but I've heard (never owned one) that they burn through pretty fast. My Ashley was on sale for $699 when I bought it and it was well worth the money. It is the second one down on this page:
    http://www.dtmccalls.com/heaters/heaters.htm

or on this page it is the Ashley wood circulator EC95 (sells for $899 this company, but you can shop around and maybe find it cheaper)

http://www.usstove.com/cgi-bin/csvsearchProd.pl?id=wood+coal+stoves

3. scorpian5

scorpian5 Well-Known Member

There are alot of places selling wood stoves these days. We got our small stove for our cabin at Menards. Tractor supply sells wood stoves and there are quite a few stove dealers in WIsconsin. I would like to see the stove in person before buying it, Northern has a great catalog but there prices are not that good when you have to pay shipping on somthing heavy.

4. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had good luck with Ashley in the past, but I have a Vermont Castings cast iron model now that there aren't any little ones around to crash into it.

5. jer

jer Well-Known Member

We have had a VALCO stove for 27 years and have used it to heat our home. It is not very big but does the job. It does not use a lot of wood either. If it wears out we will look for another one just like it.

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I bought a Dutchwest by Vermont Castings last year and love it. They come in catalytic and non-catalytic versions with, I think, three sizes in each. I bought the largest non-catalytic size they make. I wanted the Dutchwest for two reasons. One, it's built out of cast iron and not steel. Two, it was the least expensive stove that I could find with the features that I wanted, such as airtight firebox, side loading door, etc.

7. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I've had a Hearthstone for 20 years.

Quality.

8. goodshepherd

goodshepherd Good Shepherd Farm

We have a Vermont Castings and are very satisfied. Some of my relatives have Jotul and are happy with that brand also. The only feature I cared about, other than being warm, was that I wanted glass in the front door. There's something about watching the fire burn on a cold winter night. Better than TV even.