need natural flea remedies for kitties

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JenMcLeod, Jan 31, 2005.

1. JenMcLeod

JenMcLeod New Member

Does anyone have a good remedy for flea removal? our poor kittens are in need. Tried pestisides but won't do that nasty thing again.

2. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Try D.E. Diatomaceous Earth Rub it into the hair

3. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree, but wear a dust mask and googles, because it can be irritating to eyes, nose, mouth, etc.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Give the cat a bath in warm water. Use shampoo. Flush as many fleas as you can off the cat. Then wrap it in a towel and go over it very carefully with a pair of tweezers, crushing the remaining fleas.

Repeat the flea check daily and the bath as needed.

Also, clean the house thoroughly. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum! Use the attachments on the vacuum to get in couch cushions etc. Change all the bedding, wash in hot water. Vacuum daily.

Feed the cat a high-quality diet. Healthy animals seem to repel parasites, whereas less healthy ones attract them.

When I fed Science Diet, I never had a flea problem.

Be careful using any kind of flea chemical on kittens.

It's also very important to get rid of fleas on kittens as they can easily become anemic and die from infestation.

5. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

A cheap flea trap- put a bug sticky trap under a night light. The fleas are attracted to the heat of the light and jump onto the sticky trap.
    The vet I worked for recommended these traps. You want to exclude kittens from the room you're de-fleaing, as a kitten would just have o get tangled up in the sticky!

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Using warm water, get a kitten soaked, then pour a solution of apple cider vinegar and water over it, from the neck down to the tail. Don't forget the belly. About 1 part vinegar to three parts water should do the trick. The fleas should drop off. Rinse again with warm water. Place kitten on floor and hold up towel. After the shaking procedure, rub a little with towel. Keep kitten in warm dry place until thoroughly dry.

Ditto on the healthy diet. Raw is best, but if you aren't into it, then the best kitty food you can buy (which immedietly rules out grocery store brands)

Also, plant some lavender plants near the house. Fleas hate lavender, and every time your cats walk by, they will get a little lavender on them. Penny royal is also a fleabane.

7. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

Natural Animal it is all natural its a consentrat but they use citrist and a lot of vitamin oils ( I am at home and dont have a bottle with me )
    We sell 4oz bottles for 5.99 and it makes a gallon
    Thats all we use in the gromming shop for flea removel and it works great
    It is safe to use on kittens and puppies

If you would like to get some I can ship it to you
    E-mail me if you want
    Ahopkins5@tampabay.rr.com