Need milkers in Hill Country, TX area

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ark, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I live 1 1/2 hrs west of San Antonio and I NEEEEEEEED milkers (any breed)! Two good milkers would get me through the winter... My girls are really slowing down on production. :waa:
    I have a small small herd of Nubians and 2 La Manchas. They are all beloved pets.
    Next year I will plan the breedings so as to have year round milk!
    Please let me know if you know anyone with milkers that need a good home.
    Thanks,
    Rachel

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I know a lady that has 18 Lamancha and Nubian milkers, all real tame (plus about 40 other goats). But they all freshened in the spring, I believe, like February and April. I bought two Lamanchas from her in June and they are great. I will see if she has any more she is willing to sell. If I don't repost here, then I didn't find out anything. If I find out she has some, I will PM you. I am an hour east of Austin.

3. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

You have somebody that has WONDERFUL milkers right in your area.

Her name is Dorinda Williams in Utopia.
    Good luck
    Christy.....

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me that link to the Williams.
    Unfortunately, they do not have any milkers (producing milk) for sale right now. :waa:
    Still looking!
    I've got 3 more people to call and check with - I got these names from 2 different vets.
    Thanks for your help!
    Rachel :p

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

My "milker connection" does not have any she wants to part with right now, I am so sorry. I guess it's the wrong time of year to find a good milker unless you stumble across one. I will keep you in mind though.

7. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

You are so right - it's the wrong time of year. :no:

Everyone keeps telling me to give them a call in the spring. Well, in the spring I'll be doing okay on milk from my own goats! :p

The way it looks tho, is that as many as I can milk, is how much milk I can use. Did that make sense? The more milk I have the more people want it.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I am milking one very reliable LaMancha right now. In fact, i have tried to dry her off because i want her in "bloom" when i breed her. But even if I skip milking her for days, she just keeps making milk. Then i decide i want the milk and milk her. Not good, i know. I really tried to dry her off once and she is very persistant. She wants to be milked so bad. Her supply doesn't even dwindle if i am off schedule. I have milked just once a day since June. I am not even feeding her hi-pro diet, just about 12-14%. It's crazy, no it's great. She is the kind of goat that i want to make more of! Her name is "Perseverence". She was already named that when i got her.