Need Medical Help

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cindyloo, Nov 29, 2004.

1. cindyloo

cindyloo Member

:confused: I have a kit that is 6wks. it is one of 4 in a litter. (Californian) After weaning, it started losing weight and has matted fur around the mouth and front paws. Although I don't see anything coming out of the nose. :confused: I have separrated it from the rest of the litter but today the breathing looks labored. My question is should I treat the rest of my herd with an antibiotic to be on the safe side or do I wait it out? :( I have a total of 4 litters that are 6 wks and 1 that is 5 days old. My maternity ward is cages all connected together with holes at 30 X 36 inches. Should I move all of the litters to smaller cages that I have on the sides of our Hutch that are sepparated by about 6 inches from each other? :worship: I definitly could use some experienced advice.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

I've never had a kit with those exact symptoms, so I'm not really sure what to tell you about him, but I would try placing the herd on a low-grade antibiotic. I'm not sure exactly what you would place them on, though, if you've got a really young litter - perhaps someone else has a suggestion as to what antibiotic to use?

Sorry I'm not of more help,

Hannah of SnugBun Rabbitry (Quality Satins and Magpie Harlequins)

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I wouldn't treat anyone but the one that has a problem. Don't treat unless you know what you are treating, is a good rule of thumb. Rabbits, especially baby ones, are sensitive, and you could cause other problems with antibiotics. All of a sudden, you could be losing them from the runs. As far as what this one has, I can't say, it could be a bad case of the "untreatable" snuffles, maybe Pat will say? :)

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

First off, you need to understand what causes the matted fur on the wrists of the paws and around the mouth. This is always caused by a nasal discharge, wherein the fur becomes matted from "nose wiping"... and it also gets on the mouth from grooming the paws. The discharge in question is likely a clear discharge and not noticeable until it sneezes.

If these kits are designated for meat purposes, then, I wouldn't use any antibiotics. The chances of the antibiotics actually effecting a "cure" are minimal, since we really don't know what bacterias we are dealing with, here. In addition, with the proper withdrawal period after the period of treatment, it is highly unlikely that the rabbit would still meet the fryer requirements since it will, by that time, be too old to qualify as a "fryer." Any rabbit with a low threshold of disease resistance isn't worth keeping for breeding stock, either.

In my opinion, I would strongly recommend simply culling the rabbit immediately. It will be very important to get it out of the same cage with its siblings before it can pass it on to them... if it hasn't, already.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

5. cindyloo

cindyloo Member

Thank you Pat. (And Thank You to Hannah and Rosarybeads) We actually "took care of" the sick one the same day I posted. (Which my 12 yr. old son wasn't happy with.) I quarrantined that kit for 24 hrs. to watch it and I never saw a sneeze. Although I also wasn't in the hutch all the time either. These rabbits are my sons 4-H project and we do use the litters in the off season for fryer purposes. And we also look for breeders in our litters. Do I just watch the rest of the herd?

6. Pat Lamar

Constant surveillance is the name of the game for any commercial producer, and more so if there is added risk like with this case. Simply cull as needed.

Love your screen name, Rosarybeads! Have you seen the new "Rosaries for the Unborn," yet? They come from Medjugorje. Tear shaped beads with a tiny metal fetus inside each bead. Awesome!

Pat Lamar
    President

7. Rosarybeads

Wow, that sounds neat. No, haven't seen them. Will have to do some searching on the internet.... Christmas gift? :) Actually went to Medjugorje when I was younger, have very fond memories of it even though I was too young to pick up most of the religous stuff, absolutely loved it nonetheless.

By the way, what type of rabbits do you raise? I was into showing for several years, and your name sounds very familiar to me.

8. Pat Lamar

I would dearly love to visit Medjugorje... or any of the Marian apparition sites, for that matter, heheheh. Too bad they all have to be so far away, though.

You may be remembering me from the previous stint I did from 1992 to 1998 as Chairperson for the ARBA Commercial Department Committee and wrote many articles for the DR as well as a regular column called "Commercial Industry News." I also wrote for the "Rabbits Only" magazine, too. I raised NZW, Silver Fox, Satins, Mini Lops, Rex, Mini Rex, Flemish Giants and English Lops. Quite a variety, eh?

Pat Lamar
    President
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

9. Rosarybeads

Yes, that is where it is from! I used to read those all the time, now it makes sense. ;) I raised Mini Rex & Jersey wooley for show, mostly mini-rex, and we had various lops & some NZW at some times, for meat.

Medjugorje is very neat, and I was only about 12 at the time. I do wish they were closer & safer, though. :) I was lucky to get to go to Lourdes for my honeymoon, which I also liked, but Medjugorje was REALLY neat. We stayed with a family there that were part of a tour group, so it was neat. If you ever get a chance, go! :)