Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did anyone grow luffas and have some extra seed? I planted all I had and not one came up so I have no seed for next year. For some reason none of the plant supply places in my area ever carry the seed. I would be glad to pay postage for a few seeds.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I might have some. Mine are still making fruit, although that might end fairly soon if the weather keeps cooling down.

Once the season's over and I deduct the Christmas loofahs and the ones I'll need for my own use, I'll know where I stand. Post back in a couple of weeks, in case I forget, and I should be able to tell you. :)

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks countrygrrrl I like them to wash my dishes with instead of those plastic scrubbies. Just a few seed would get me started again for next year.

·
le person
6,244 Posts
Take a knife a cut a thin strip off along one side of the seeds, or soak them in water for a day before planting. I have the best luck with the first method. Just cut off the outside, so the the inner part of the seed is exposed. They have a hard shell that needs to be compromised for the seed to sprout.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TatersPa, I sent you a PM. Southerngrrrl, thanks for the tip. I have always had a problem getting gourds of any kind to sprout. I will try both ways next year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts