Need jer thoughts about planting corn

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FarmboyBill, Dec 29, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Although I get better and better yields each year, im still FAR from a low yield year in NE Kans where I come from. Here in NE Okla, the ground is sandy and u might as well give up on getting full row stands. Or anything like it. Im going this next year to try planting 2 rows 6in or so apart in the hopes of getting the equivilant of a full row or better at picking time. My question is, At the rate of yield I now get, and your knowing about the standability rateings I get. Would you invest in high dollar corn seed, at say $100 or better a bag, or go with open pollinated at around $30 a bag. Ive planted both. Got a better stand last year with OP than the year before with hybred at $100 a bag. BUT I soaked tyhe seed a week before planting last year, and I think that went a long way in increasing my yield. Thats kinda tricky doing, considering you want dry weather when you are ready to plant, and not prolonged rain or wet fields with the corn in moisture 2 or 3 weeks.

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I planted some of my corn like that last year. I feel that it didn't get enough light being that close together. How ever it might have just been some thing to do with the fertilizer as i put down triple 15. I might have been scattering it thinner and thinner as i went along, because i was scared id burn them.
    I also soaked my seeds (Silver Queen) for about 4 days. It sure makes a difference as almost every one of them spouted. But i was also with in garden hose range.

If the OP worked for ya. Id go that way again.
    Geesh thats a lot-a corn! :bow:
    Im only gardening so take it for what its worth.

3. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

That may be why their are no corn farms around where you live. Corn is a good crop for making money but you have found that it can't be grown in quinity in your area.

4. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

After the dirty 30s. the government came in and reclaimed the land turning it into pastures, hayfields, and wheat fields. The ground was kept covered as much as possible. AND the former farmers was paid by the government to keep it that way. Consequently they forgot farming in row crops, got rid of the machinery, and now no following generation here in Okla knows anything about row crop farming. I have one neighbor who tried corn once or twice and quit it. He now does wheat and milo on the same acerage. But hes big time with hundreds of acres farmed, plus having 2 feed stores and a mill on his property

5. SpringCrkAromas

SpringCrkAromas Well-Known Member

Have you tested the soil? Maybe you just need to amend it.
    Plant too close and they don't get enough light. Bet you just need a good dose of nitrogen.
    Jill