Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ash tree that is down but hung up in other trees. The base of the tree is in a creek and the top is in other trees. My thought is to go from the bottom up?! I plan to saw the base with a nice wedge on top and then up from the bottom so the tree can pivot in the wedge and I can get my saw out. Then the tree will not fall very far as the bottom is almost to the ground. I will keep doing this until I can pull the tree top out of the other trees. Am I on the right track?
See the pictures below of the trunk and then up to the top part.
I am a novice a this!
IMG_4504.JPG
IMG_4502.JPG

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
To quote George Clooney from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" you are in a tight boy

If it were me, I would try to winch the top of the tree away from the others first and trim from the top down as far as I needed.
2nd choice might be to rise up in my tractor loader and trim it back from right to left. Depending on the size of tractor, you may be able to just pull that mess apart and onto the bank. It would be easier in sections though.
If you don't have a tractor, well...
From the photos, I can't see cutting at the base will do anymore than drop the trunk into the creek bottom.
Regardless of your plan, be careful, well equipped and protected; there is a reason those are called widow makers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, no tractor yet. I do have a 4X4 jeep cherokee that I might try to yank it down with but access to that area with the jeep is kind of tight...but might be worth trying. I have a loooong rope and will be safely in the jeep for protection. Pulling it down was my first choice. I put a rope around the top and by hand can shake it to see where it is hung up. If I can cut those hung up areas, then I can probably pull it down by hand, but that makes it a catch-22, those are the very limbs I would have to lean on to cut off which hold the tree up...

·
Premium Member
15,857 Posts
I would try using a cable winch puller like this hooked to the top and anchored perpendicular to the tree. It looks like that tree would make a good crossing log for animals.

It the top is too hung up I would cut it from below starting in an area that is clear of debris and at a height that is comfortable for you to saw. I normally cut a few inches in from the top and then finish the cut from below using the top of the bar (not the tip).

Reactions: SpentPenny

·
Super Moderator
12,697 Posts
My self I would hook the come along to the bottom and pull it straight away from where it is hung. then you can cut it in sections to move it from the area.

Remember you can even use a pulley at the tree bottom to run the come along cable thru and double the pull capisity.
Also if you try to cut it in sections as it is and the bar gets hung remove the bar nuts and remove the engine part.

Al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like the firewood! Not a lot of downed trees on the property now...that is why I would like to cut it up.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Do you have a use or plan for the wood? If not leave it alone .

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
You have the right idea, but your process is backwards. Leave the wedge in the truck, and cut from the top till just before center, or it starts to move. Then come straight up from the bottom. Look the top over and figure out which way it will roll when it starts to move. You want to be standing on the other side. You will need a very sharp chain on the saw for this, because the button cut needs to be fast. Remember they call these widow makers for a reason.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Consider leaving this tree alone unless it is going to cause property damage or something. I'm sure you can find something else to cut up for firewood, this is not worth dying for.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
After looking the picture over, I think you might try this. Tie a rope or chain, as high as you can get to the top. Hook up to your jeep or truck and give it a few good tugs. Don't try to pull it down, just jar it enough for it to fall, or get it to roll. From the picture it isn't hung up all that bad.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
If the downed tree is close enough to the standing tree at the 11 o'clock angle that you could anchor lash it to it and bottom brace it, you might be able to safely cut the top and bottom forks with a pole saw..

If anchor lashing if you use rope, you might be able to use a pole saw to cut the rope to let the part in the creek to roll off the bottom brace from a safe area behind the 11 o'clock anchor tree and have two pieces of the forked top to cut and the part in the creek to winch out.

It all depends how safely you can anchor it and if you have a pole saw to cut it into three more manageable pieces.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would like the firewood! Not a lot of downed trees on the property now...that is why I would like to cut it up.
A whole cord of oak firewood costs $250 around here...What's the value of your time, wear & tear on your equipment and your time worth?

If this were blocking my front door and I just had to move it, I'd put a chain on the bottom and with come-along or vehicle pull it straight out of the crotch it's hung up on.

·
Registered
847 Posts
That second "time" was supposed to be "safety."...How do we edit on this new format? ...or am I stupid, and you're gunna take advice from me?

·
Super Moderator
12,697 Posts
I still say the come along is the best idea of getting it down. I have did a couple with the come along my self but own tractors and have pulled several more down with one.

the dead ash makes great fire wood and drys quick. the wind will take them down pretty easy too to fall where ever the winds let them.

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
I had a guy call me for help a few years ago. He had experienced a 'Hold my beer" moment.
He was trying to cut one particular 50' oak down in an area of moderately thick timber.
He made a poor hinge cut and the tree barber chaired off the stump and into the ground. It hung up into another oak tree at about a 15 degree angle. Making another poor move, he decides to cut down the tree holding the first oak upright.
This one had a rotten, hollow center, so he had no hinge to create. It also spun on the trunk and did the same thing.
He now had two trees leaning against eachother and onto a third.
Know where your tree is going before you start your saw.
Know what needs to be cleared out of the way before you start your saw.
Know your escape route before you start your saw.
Never walk away and forget about a "snag".

Yes, a comealong or a winch would be preferable in your case. Even a strap to your jeep may be enough to pull it far enough onto the bank that you can safely piece it up.

From the photos, I cannot tell the condition of that ash tree. If it recently died you may be able to harvest some firewood.
It is is rotten it would be a waste of time other than for campfires.

·
Retired Coastie
5,095 Posts
Of course I'm not there, but based on the photo my first cut would be the lower branch of the vee. Then after that large branch is processed and moved I'd cut the upper branch above the vee. Once that's done cut your way back to the base of the tree. I've cut down hundreds of trees, anything could happen be careful....Topside

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
That second "time" was supposed to be "safety."...How do we edit on this new format? ...or am I stupid, and you're gunna take advice from me?
You can edit your replies for 24 hoursby clicking on the 3 vertical dots to the right top of your reply and selecting edit in the pull down menu from the 3 dots.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That doesn't look that dangerous, cut a small cut in the top side of the thick trunk and then come up from below so it doesn't pinch the saw. But keep watching what it wants to do cuz it can be spring loaded.

After cutting off the heaviest piece(s) I'd try to pull it out with your truck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts