Need input on doe purchase

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moonspinner, Jan 27, 2005.

1. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I would love to add this beautiful nigerian doe to my herd. She is very typy and has won many ribbons in conformation and udder. Here's the problem. She is going on three. Her first freshening she delivered doe and buck twins. One was breech but delivered okay. Last year she had triplets - twin does and buck. Two got tangled and the owner lost them. Do I have reason to be worried? The owner is quite generous with grain and her pregnant does are always way bigger than mine. Also her kids end up being significantly larger. Also they don't get quite the excercise as I give mine. The owner has outstanding vet care and she is very responsible. I don't think she would encourage another breeding if the vet didn't approve. Still, I am a bit nervous. What do you think?

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

(Looking at this from a medical perspective and my time in private practice) the best indicator of future repeated complications is to look at the past repeated complications. Flukes happen, but once a track record is established living organisms rarely deviate from that course.

We have a doe that always has one doe kid per year. Period! Never 2, never a buck, always 1 doe. But her kids deliver normally.

One of our Saanan does always delivers the kids upside down. Every kid for 3 years now. Her kids deliver normally

Gal down the road has a doe that always delivers 3 calcified kids and 1 macro somatic doe. Has done this for 5 years in a row. Her kids deliver the same way.

I guess my concern is how her off spring performs with kid delivery. If they also have strange deliveries I would let this be my main decision factor.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I think you described exactly the problem with this doe...over conditioned, too much grain during the dry period, little exercise...all of this contributes to the main problem, a doe who is small herself having multiples, and then allowed to push with no good kid presentation, until you have a train wreck of kids pressed into the cervics that you can't not manipulate and get out.

We breed these goats, there isn't a thing natural left in them. You have to step in to fix the problems we create by keeping them in areas of the country no goat would choose or be able to live in, by keeping them housed, breeding them for more milk, or more meat...more meat with no thought to the udder or feet quality. More milk with no thought to the people who are going to let this doe with genetic potential to nurse 4 kids quite easily when they are 8 weeks old, yet when the kids are tiny there is no way of them keeping up with that much milk.

By the time a vet is called in a kidding difficulty, there is little for a vet to do but to section the doe or to cut kids out. The real problem with this doe is likely managment. Alot of people love their animals to death. They also give people who do well in the showring a very bad name. Vicki