Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out where I can see our local school budget to see exactly where the money goes. Is this or should this be public information? I think it would be since its the taxpayers monies?

Another parent and I are trying to figure out how much is spent on special education in our school system. Since they keep saying they have no money in the budget.

Also, anyone else with children in SPED?Do you know if its a federal law or not if the school needs to provide certain equipment?
My understanding is that they need to provide certain items for a child, such as books, desk, etc. But what about handicapped children? Providing thier equipment.
Every other school my daughter has been in, they have always provided a walker for her. Since it was school property several children would use it. But both myself and another parent have been told that we have to provide equipment, that our insurance pays for.

490 Posts
Hi, look up the laws for spec. ed in your state. They'll probably be hard to understand, and harder to figure out what they mean. Typical gov't stuff.
If you know of any spec ed advocates or special ed groups to contact in your state, start now.
Dont give up. Yes, they'll try to do the least possible, in many places. Some places a little better.
Why wouldn't they have something at school that your child needs? Call the special ed. dept at the capital; find out what they say about equipment. Dont quit, dont get mad, take it slow, steady. Dont listen to any 'crap'.
It's a lifelong thing, I guess you already know that.
Love, and blessings,

Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,477 Posts
You should be able to walk into the school district's administration office and ask for a copy of the budget. Keep in mind that a parent asking for the budget is a rare event. It may take them a day or so to get you a copy.

Our school district didn't provide wheelchairs or other items. When my sister was in public schools, she provided her own aids. (She is blind.)

Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we have a walker at home, but we also bring it to school. Its brand new, and insurance paid about $3000 for it. But its heavy and awkward. (Now Im thankful for a full size van. LOL) In fact, her old walker we gave to the school so that they would have it for the other kids, along with a stander DD outgrew. Between the two pieces of equipment, we basically donated about $4000 to them.
And the other mother's son also has the same walker, and she commented how tiresome it gets having to bring it back and forth to school everyday. Which I agree. We got to the point we leave it the entire week, and just take it home on friday so we have it on the weekends.

DD goes to school in her wheelchair, which isn't a problem since we have the lift on the van. And her wheelchair is custom fitted to her, so she's better off in it anyway rather than a chair that's not custom fitted to her.

I plan on asking the physical therapist about this again, as before she said she was surprised the school dept didn't just buy one and use it for all the kids who would fit into it. Which is what our other school did.

2,597 Posts
Found this - at least it might show you what they are supposed to pay/spend. The link is:

here are a couple of quotes regarding things you have mentioned lately:

July, 2005 (Revised) 1


1. The Department must have a mechanism for serving children with disabilities if instructional needs exceed available personnel who meet appropriate professional requirements in the State for a special profession or discipline.

2. When shortages of qualified personnel exist, the Department shall address those shortages in its comprehensive system of personnel development under this section.

4. An assurance that IDEA funds will be used to supplement and not to supplant state and local funds and will be expended only for the excess cost of providing special education and related services to children eligible for special education;

7. A detailed budget and end of the year report of expenditures of all funds available to provide special education and related services is provided; and

(2) Methods and Payments.
(a) Each district may use whatever state, local, federal, and private sources of support that are available to meet the requirements of 0520-1-9 and IDEA. (For example, if it is necessary to place a child eligible for special education in a residential facility, a local school system could use joint agreements between the agencies involved for sharing the cost of that placement.)
(b) Nothing in this part relieves an insurer or similar third (3rd) party from an otherwise valid obligation to provide or to pay for services provided to a child with a disability.
(c) In order to ensure that FAPE is provided to a child with a disability, parents shall not be required to use private insurance to pay for special education and related services.
may access a parent’s private insurance proceeds only if the parent provides informed consent.
Each time the LEA proposes to access the parent’s private insurance proceeds, it must:
1. Obtain parental consent; and
2. Inform the parents that their refusal to permit the LEA to access their private insurance does not relieve the LEA of its responsibility to ensure that all required services are
provided at no cost to the parents (34 CFR § 300.142 (f)).
(d) A LEA may use public insurance benefit programs in which a child with a disability participates to provide or pay for services as permitted under the public insurance agency,
except the LEA:
1. May not require parents to incur an out of pocket expense such as payment of a deductible or copay amount incurred in filing a claim for services provided as a related
service (the LEA may pay the cost that the parent otherwise would be required to pay);
2. May not use a child’s benefits under a public insurance program if that use would:
(i) Decrease available lifetime coverage or any other insured benefit;
(ii) Result in the family paying for services that would otherwise be covered by the
public insurance and that are required for the child outside of the time the child is
in school;
(iii) Increase premiums or lead to the discontinuation of insurance; or
I read to page 34 of a 74 page document and did not find any mention of wheelchairs, walkers, and the like. I did find mention of "assistive technology" and how that has to be funded, but I did not know if that's what you would call a walker or not.

I was surprised that Sp.Ed. kids get to attend school until they are 22.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.