Need Information On Prolapsing ...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by UdderlySaanens, Mar 14, 2005.

1. UdderlySaanens

UdderlySaanens Member

I have a friend that has a doe that is due with her first kid(s) on March 25th and the doe is Prolapsing already from her vagina and anus both !!! I have raised goats for many years but have never had this problem with my goats and my friend needs some advice on what to do about this. Once a doe does this, she will always do this won't she ? She has also heard that prolapsing is a hereditary condition and wants to know if there is any truth to that.

2. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Howdy
    I only have limited experience in this but here you go:
    I have an older Nigerian that had kidded several times before I got her. Her first kidding after coming here was mostly uneventful. The second kidding she had a vaginal prolapse. Scared hell out of me. She looked like a baboon for the final month+ of her pregnancy then everything went back in place after she kidded as had been predicted by more experienced hands. I gave her a course of penicillin afterwards as a precaution since she had been "hanging out" for a while.
    I've heard and read that prolapsing is hereditary. I now have the doe from her first kidding here bred and have seen no sign of prolapse yet and hope I don't. She's still 2+ months out.
    I have chosen not to breed my prolapse girl again as she is getting up in years and I don't need the additional anxiety. I have the sense though that she might be fine if I did - but why invite trouble?

3. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi UdderlySaanens,

I don't think all, if any prolapsing is hereditary. An older doe that has kidded many times seems to be more prone to this than something that might be hereditary. I haven't done the research needed to come to a conclusion about any heredity considerations, but my experience would indicate that what I have seen isn't hereditary.

For example, we had an older doe that had a habit of delivering quads. When she got older, she began to prolapse about two weeks before she would deliver. She would sit down and prolapse and then it would withdraw when she stood up. The only thing that we ever had to do was give her an antibiotic when it started as a preventative for infections.

I would suspect that this doe will always prolapse now. If she is loose/stretched enough to be able to turn inside out now, she probably will be in the future also. I would also consider the size and number of kids that come this kidding also. If she is carrying good size quads for example, this just may be a matter of making room for them when there isn't enogh room for all that.

I hope that this helps a little.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.