Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at property in the NE area of Missouri. We are thinking of moving there and would like to know anything about any of the towns there. Some towns we are looking at are Linneus, Chillicothe, Brookfield, Hannibal, Green City. My husband would have to find a job also and we would have a payment on the property so a job is important. Right now dh is a fireman/paramedic but would be too old to join another deparment so he would have to do something else. Our children are ready to pack and move today. My 2nd oldest is wanting to put out a for sale sign in the yard Today!! Told him he couldn't until we looked at the area we would be moving to. Wouldn't surprise me if he did it anyways.

If you have any information to offer please do.

Thank You!

Michele
Crew mom to 11

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice rural areas, with a strong agricultural base. Chillicothe is near the interstate, so some commercial and business for jobs, although not truly aware of the job market. Good schools. Brookfield would be similar to Chillicothe, but somewhat smaller, but both would be central areas for employment. I am sure property values are higher there than in the outlying areas. I know where Linneus is on the map, but would assume the town is pretty much like much of rural america in that area.....maybe a local church, post office and possibly a small gas station....otherwise, all business and grocery shopping is conducted in the larger towns. I would assume property taxes in that area are reasonable.

Hannibal, in my opinion, is a dying tourist trap. I have not spent considerable time there, but have never been impressed with the town and its offerings. Not familiar with Green City.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
Daughter attends college in Kirksville and IMHO, were it not for the 2 college in 'the ville', the whole area would be dead. It is pretty depressing around Adair County, a lot of poverty. The residents chose to pay increased taxes in order to widen the STATE highway (heading towards Macon). Tis a lot more humid there which you probably already know. So chose wisely when you move in case you find it is not to your liking.

·
Also known as Jean
1,509 Posts
I am not positive, but I have an idea that Brookfield is in an area with a LOT of goose hunting. Don't know if that would make any difference to you.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Born and raised in NE MO, still live here, always will... I was born in Kirksville with alot of my family around that area still. Knox, Adair, Lewis are mostly agricultural communities. Unfortunately CAFO's are begining to dot the country sides and the small family farms are paying the price. Poverty in the area's are high, but honestly most people don't really consider themselves in poverty, and they keep plugging away at life. I was raised 9 miles south of Hannibal and still live within 40 minutes of it. It is nothing more than a dirty river town in my opinion. The tourism is floundering, people don't read Mark Twain much anymore. The factory jobs that were there are closing up and shipping out, the hospital is probably the largest employer in the area, with Pillsbury following that. Drugs are rampant in the area, welcome to Missouri, the nations leader in Meth production... The summer's are hot and VERY humid and the winters can be bitter. I like that part of it though you get a chance to see all the seasons. We still live in Marion Co, and depending on where you live at in it fluctuates your taxes greatly.

Now for the good part... We live in the middle of nowhere, it is a beautiful part of the country, the people are mostly friendly, family values still exist. You can see all kinds of wildlife, we host some of the countries biggest corn fed deer, goose and duck hunting is easy to access. The Mississippi is close by, which is beautiful but demands respect. You can find caves all over to explore, streams and creeks run everywhere. There is something here that is hard to put your finger on, it will draw you in and find yourself never wanting to leave if you let it. Like I said I have no desire to live anywhere else this is home, I never get bored there are to many things to notice for the first time here. Every spring brings a flower you swear you have never noticed before or you spot the mama coon leading all her babies in a line and you fall in love. If we can help you with anything let me know, we'll try our best to help. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the replies. We are waiting to hear from the real estate.

Cyndi, we will have to talk in person.

Thanks again

Michele
Crew mom to 11

·
plains of Colorado
4,131 Posts
Grew up in Keokuk, IA (very close). HUMID but I think you get used to it. Nice people...rural. You can stick anything in the ground and it will grow! LOVE Hannibal and the Mark Twain stuff. I moved to CO in '71 but traveled back there for yrs b/c of parents. Have taken my son many times to Hannibal. I still remember the house selling next to my parents for $3,000!!!! It needed work but huge lot and nice old house.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Michele,
Pony & Nick are coming over Saturday afternoon - Pony & I will be putting up pickles.

If you and crew aren't busy, why not come on over??

·
Registered
47 Posts
I live 15 miles from kirksville near novinger both wife and myself work in kirksville If it wasnt for the colleges kirksville would blow away and they keep raiseing taxes and the city now has a smoking ban so its driveing the small business out.The cost of living is cheap and the rural life is nice and quite for the most part.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank You Paula for the ads.

Haven't heard from the real estate yet. Getting kinda annoyed with them. But this is the country and like I said to a friend everything moves slow.

We were hoping to make a trip down there when the real estate has some information but not sure when that will happen.

My hubby was looking for a job yesterday online. Where he could get on would be quite a drive. So might need to look more southern then where we would like to go?

Thank you all. I appreciate all the insight!

Michele
Crew mom to 11

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I dont know if you are interested in going a little more over maybe 75- miles by Salem or rolla, but my sil has a 3 bed log cabin on 20 acres they cant keep up the payments they are young but mostly they want to move way south to be by his dad I think its around $130,000 might be cheaper I tell her if she stops buying all name bramd stuff and get wasting money it would work but like I said they are young,paula

1 - 15 of 15 Posts