Need information about Slate

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kemrefarms, Jul 9, 2006.

1. kemrefarms

kemrefarms Head Weed Wrangler

Can somebody tell me the appropriate applications for slate. It is beautiful but seems so fragile and breaks very easily.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

3. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

What application are you going to use it in. For roofing it is the best. Rough, it looks good for patio flooring and smooth good for most anywhere. It is just as durable as tile if properly installed. Many big hardware store chains offer tile laying courses gratis. Cutting may require a special cutter because the grains would probably make it break unevenly. I have laid tile but not slate. Will use it on my patio this winter.

4. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs. oz here :)

I don't know where you want to use the slate, but it is appropriate for most floor or wall applications. I sell ceramic tile and natural stone for a living. I've used slate in showers, on patios, on fountains, on fireplaces, on countertops, on outdoor barbecues.......just about everywhere. It is not a real hard stone so it will scratch and if it is natural cleft (uneven surface) it will also shale. That does not mean the quality is poor, just a natural characteristic of the stone. As far as breaking easily, once it has been installed in a mortar bed it will be tough to break it. Wherever you are going to use it, just make sure you seal it. That will prevent it from absorbing things and getting stains. This will need to be done probably once a year, depending on where you use it. And if you have some shaling, just hit that area with some more sealer. Hope this helps.