Need information about goat mastectomy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Nancy_in_GA, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Could anyone please share more details about this surgery?

I guess we're mainly interested in how risky it is, and when is the best time to have it done. Our current vet says it is too dangerous. The University is nearby, but we would need a referral from some vet.

-Does the goat have to be showing an udder for the surgery?
    -Is it done with a local anesthetic or do they knock her out completely?
    -Can it be done if the doe has mastitis, or does she have to be completely healthy?
    -Can most vets do this surgery, or do you need a special goat vet?

Anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

We're trying to make a decision whether to have this surgery on a 2.5 yo Sable Saanen doe.

Thanks,
    Nancy

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I was going to have this done on a doe also. She was too valuable to my bloodline to be put down, with her udder gone the problem would be gone, and since colostrum and milk is in abudance here, I didn't need either from her. She also was never going to finish her championship so that point was moot.

First I read the procdeure backwards and forwards in Goat Medicine, it even gives you the list of meds to use. I took this infomration and went to Texas A&M for a surgical consult. If your vet is not a goat vet than spend the money on the book, bringing him a copy out of a vet text may help, but the quality of the book and the info would likely sqelch his fears about giving you the referral.

Of course you are going to want to use a university vet surgical clinic, and not your local vet unless he happens to specialize in surgery in the area.

It is in many ways alot less risky to have the sugery done now, while fly season is not a consideration, and it's alot less risky to get rid of the problem than deal with mastitis you can't get rid of each and every time she kids.

We never went on with the surgery. Another consideration came up with the doe.

It's a good option if you want the mastitic udder gone, and still have her for breeding. The mastitis is likely to kill her before a good surgery with excellent aftercare will.

Yes of course they will put her to sleep, but at a good vet hospital with good drugs that isn't a problem, it's when vets who know only enough to make themselves dangerous put goats to sleep, that all the problems happen. Without good monotoring, and in many ways without the same level of care they give their more expensive clients.

If you are going to do this do it right. I now know several does who have had this done, all in excellent health. Vicki

3. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Thanks Vicki,
    If I don't hear otherwise, I'll assume that's the "Goat Medicine" by Mary Smith and David Sherman.

Nancy