Need Info...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Utah_Viper, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Utah_Viper

Utah_Viper Guest

My freind and I are hoping to give up the city life and need info on ways and places that we can live off of the land. We are tired of the govt. controlling our lives and are ready to do it on our own. We would like any info that may be useful. i have looked at some of the boards and found some good topics. i really want ideas of where to go, and any legal info about homestaeding. Eventualy we want to have a community of open minded people that work and live together. Anything you can help with would be greatly apreciated.

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

check out "The good life" by Helen and Scott Nearing. This should give you some basic ideas.

Laws are different in different areas of the country as well as each county and city in each state. So you will need to decide where you want to go before you can find out much more.

To find a location you like you need to ask yourself what kind of climate you like, what specifically are you looking for(do you want to raise cattle or goats, etc)

Another Book I recommend is "Ruralize Your Dreams: a comprehensive guide"

This book will tell you what to look for and ask about land.

3. Browsercat

Browsercat Well-Known Member

4. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

I don't think it is possible to escape the US govt. -taxes and vehicle laws are everywhere. I do think of homesteading as an escape from big corporate controls.
    A trip to your local library is a good start. Look for books by Gene Logson, John Seymour, Carla Emery and even the flashier - Paul Heiney. I would also recommend subscribing to Countryside Magazine www.countrysidemag.com. - trial issue is free. As you can see from this site, "homesteading" is a big topic with many points of view.

5. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

A government hating person such as yourself obviously belongs in a location where land is cheap, property taxes are nonexistent, and government intrusion into your life is nonexistent.

Mexico obviously is calling for you.

You won't have to worry about anyone on welfare. They have none. You won't have to worry about any liberal government entitlement programs such as social security. They have none.

You owe it to yourself to throw off the yoke of US governmental control over your life.

Bon voyage!