Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been offered a job, one in norfolk va, one in newport news va. we've lived here in rural western virginia for15 years. i am trying to find out what is available within 1 1/2 hours from norfolk, newport news. the internet has mainly showed me new in the city construction and condos, which just won't do. we can rent to own, maybe out right buy, whatever, anybody know where i should look. thanks.

·
Gimme a YAAAAY!
5,327 Posts
After living in rural VA, you'll definitely feel the traffic in the Hampton Roads area. The biggest slow-down getting into/out of Norfolk and/or NN is the bridges. But, as with anywhere that commuters abound, you'll eventually find that "window" of time that you'll have to leave your house by.

Sorry I can't give info on actual housing. I've been gone from the VA Beach/Norfolk area for a couple of years and it was growing leaps and bounds when I left. But, know that when you say "1 1/2 hrs" from Norfolk or NN, that will depend on the time of day you must commute. When I lived in VA Beach commuting to Norfolk everyday, I could make it in 20 mins some days, and 1 1/2 hrs other days... so keep that in mind while househunting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We visit Williamsburg every year, and that's only about one hour from the ocean.... so it'd be less to NN and Norfolk. But that's not in the middle of rush hour!

One option around rush hour is to avoid I-64 and try to find some highways or byways that can get you there. Even with stoplights and less than interstate speedlimits, you can often get places quicker on two lane roads than the interstates. US 60 is probably the best example for down there.

I live in the Shenandoah Valley, and when we head down to Williamsburg or the beach, once we get on the East side of Richmond via I-295, we often hit US 60 and take it the rest of the way. It's a scenic drive, mostly four lane divided highway that seems abandoned thanks to the adjacent I-64.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you take up a job in newport news you can be past james city county in to the country with in a hour. rt 64. or over the york town bridge and well in to the country in 30 min. Personally id never live in nn or close to hampton rds too many people to much crap going on. I lived in a town called west point va for 13 years about 60 min from nn and 15 to 20 by river. was nice but still too many people. oh and grab your shorts cause property is through the roof on the east coast side of the state.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anybody have any suggestions for county/towns to start to look at? somebody must have a chicken or two somewhere within commuting distance. is there a subway/public transit like in fairfax/alexandria/dc? i just really need to take one of these jobs, but don't want to give up all our work toward real living. thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
charles city county, glouster county, king queen, and king whilliam. all within an hour drive of new port news. very rual areas but not so far out that you cant get to a super wallmart in 30 min.

·
Gimme a YAAAAY!
5,327 Posts
FAITHFARM said:
does anybody have any suggestions for county/towns to start to look at? somebody must have a chicken or two somewhere within commuting distance. is there a subway/public transit like in fairfax/alexandria/dc? i just really need to take one of these jobs, but don't want to give up all our work toward real living. thanks
No subways, but they HRT (Hampton Roads Transit) bus system. Don't know how far out of hustle and bustle they go, though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you can afford the toll (a huge toll, too, $17 per day round trip) you can cross mouth of the CHesapeake Bay over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to the Eastern Shore and buy a beautiful farm and farmhouse for what an average suburban home in Norfolk or Virginia Beach will cost. My mother's selling an historic eighteenth century farm home on thirty acres for about $600k, and you can get a small holding with a modest house for a lot less. The land is great farming, and the lifestyle is hunting and fishing year round.

If you look hard, you could find carpooling buddies to cross the Bridge Tunnel to work every day and split the toll.

Visiting the Eastern Shore of Virginia is like stepping back 100 years.

NOTE: Make sure you don't plan to commute across the Hampton Rhodes Bridge Tunnel between Hampton and Norfolk! The traffic on that route is so bad a friend of mine fishes off the bridge while stopped in traffic all the time. If you're working on the Norfolk/Va Beach side look south toward Chesapeake or Suffolk; but those areas have grown like crazy, too, since I lived there.

·
Registered
383 Posts
we just got back from that area & after visiting jamestown (loved it!) took the ferry over & if i remember correctly it was surry county? very pretty & rural.

goodluck :)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
For Newport News try Suffolk, actually Sulfolk will work for either. Then if you are closer to Va Beach try Pungo. It is still within the city but it is much more rural.
I love the area, lots to do, everything to find. Traffic?? well you get used to it. The reason we dont still live there is property taxes. They are out of site...

Alice in Virginia

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi! For the moment we are still living in Chesapeake VA while we build (5 acres is all we can afford but it’s the same price as .25 of an acre in Tidewater!). I’m guessing what you are looking for just might be found across the border in NC only a few miles south. We are moving to Camden County NC though it is a bit more expensive then your other counties further out such as Pasquotank, Gates, Perquimans & Chowan (about 1.5 hours). Currituck County NC is also another option (not cheap as they are also getting the overflow from VB taxes) taxes there are only .34 per 1k. The commute into Norfolk isn’t bad (so far) from any of these areas. There is no subway or transit (some buses) here like the larger cities but they are working on it. I would highly suggest buying NOW if that is an option since prices are starting to climb, especially on land!!! My sister is moving up from Florida & is working with a bank where they have several plans for lower income people (I think she make 35k, no children). I don’t assume you fit into this category, just putting it out there. I’ve done a ton of research on this & can forward it all to you if you think this is an area you might want to check out. Just PM me. There is a cute (needs work, 3 bd 2 bath, large kitchen) bank foreclosure on 2 acres w/2 car garage down a dirt road (nice & quiet) for 149 that we looked at the other day. I think it’s priced too high, would try to pick it up for 120 or so, about 30-35 minute drive to Norfolk. Just a thought, I leave it with you.
Kind regards;

KAT

·
Gimme a YAAAAY!
5,327 Posts
fellini123 said:
For Newport News try Suffolk, actually Sulfolk will work for either. Then if you are closer to Va Beach try Pungo. It is still within the city but it is much more rural.
I love the area, lots to do, everything to find. Traffic?? well you get used to it. The reason we dont still live there is property taxes. They are out of site...

Alice in Virginia
Ouch! I lived right next to the Pungo line and kicked myself in the grits many times for not buying in Pungo back in '93!! Even Pungo is growing and getting very expensive compared to just 10 yrs ago. That "green line" that was supposed to stop commercial zoning from ruining the farmers has kept moving south. The joke heard is that the green line meant that whomever had the green could move the line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts