Need info on removing a horn spur

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Oscar, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

One of my wethers has a small horn spur and it had grown in such a curved way that it is cutting into the skin on his head. This is probably made worse by butting around with the others. Usually when the boys get these, they cause no trouble and they pop off naturally with minimal bleeding. Is there a good way to remove this one, since it is causing trouble? It is about the size of two pencils together and about 1 1/2 inches long, curved downward into the goat scalp. I planned on getting out the hoof trimmers and snipping it at the base. Should I call the vet?

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

If you have a disbudding iron or have access to one I would get the hoof trimmers and cut it off very close to his head and burn it. Just remember if it still has blood coming from the center of it the horn tissue is still alive. Burn it in intervals...don't just hold the iron on his head.Burn 5-10 seconds(depending on the iron) and let it cool and burn again. When You are done I would spray it with Furall or something comparable...don't do this until you are finished burning...aresol burns quite readily (don't ask how I know :eek: )

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

If you cut it off at the base, you will need to burn. The alternative it is cut off enough of the tip (which won't bleed, or if it does, not much) so that it doesn't grow into his scalp.