Need Info. on NZW Buck

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kisota, Jun 18, 2005.

1. kisota

kisota Active Member

Dear All,
    I need some info on a NZW Buck that I own. He is sheding so much that he looks almost like an angora. Is this usual, when the weather turns hot? My Does arn't doing this.

Thanks
    Kisota

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Kisota...

Rabbits don't "shed" hair like cats and dogs... they "molt" once or twice a year. This means that they get it done and over with usually within a two week period... and that's talking a LOT of hair all at once! The new growth of hair is what is pushing out the old hair and giving him the strange appearance like an Angora. You can help him by brushing out the loose hair so he doesn't ingest it while grooming himself.

Each rabbit is different and may molt at different times and even in different degrees. Yes, this includes the does, too. Some may not even be noticeable without a closer look. A change in the weather, a change in the feed, etc., can likewise induce a molt.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. kisota

kisota Active Member

Thanks so very much Pat, I had never noticed a rabbit shed this much and didn't know that they molted.

Thanks again
    Kisota

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Pat ,, Just wondering ,, I seem to remember reading ,, 'somewhere' ,, that if a buck has a too rich diet ?? I'm supposing that means high protein diet (and any treats) ,, that since they don't 'use it up' like working does do ,,

that the buck (s) will have a tendency to molt more often ,, have you ever heard of this ??

5. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

Tammy,

I too have heard that higher protein/energy will tend to make the animals molt more often, all else being equal. I guess if a rabbit is not using all the calories or protein to simply maintain condition the remaining nutrients are used for something else like lactating for does or molting for bucks and dry does.

Russ
    www.marchharesrabbitry.com