Need info on Harney County Oregon

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by flascrub, Sep 25, 2005.

1. flascrub

flascrub Member

As a life long Floridian, im looking to get out of this hell hole that is called a state. What used to be beautiful area to live as turned into the armpit of humanity. I was born and raised in a rural enviornment in north central Fl (outside of Gainesville) and now reside in Volusia county (Daytona Beach area). Forty years ago you could drive outside a metropolitan area and not see a light. Just saw a satellite shot of Fl and it looked like downtown Las Vegas.

Im just plain tired of the every day squeeze we call life around here.Fortunately I have the resources to relocate to another area.I've been to Oregon a number of times and like the climate of the Pacific Northwest. However I have never been to the southeast portion of Oregon. Through research I realize the majority is high desert. Property prices seem to be on the reasonable side (realize mostly sage brush type). Water does seem to obtainable through wells in the northern Harney County area around Lake Malhuer.

Anybody ever lived in this area that could give me the low down it. I've read many posts here on the Republic of Oregon, is govt intervention as bad as its made out to be? Thanks flascrub.

2. flascrub

flascrub Member

I'm going to bump this thread one time in the hope that i'll get some response. Thanks.

3. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

About all I know about that part of the state is that it's the least densely populated and has the least water. Gets real hot in the summer and real cold in the winter.

4. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

Here's A Bump For You. Here We Still Have A Bit Of Eden, But It Wouldnt Bother Me A Bit To Be A Snowbird Somewhere Further North-

Good Luck W/your Search.

Mom

5. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

6. phrogpharmer

phrogpharmer Well-Known Member

I've been to Harney County, Oregon several times. Burns is a nice small town with reasonably priced housing. Most of Harney County, especially the southern part is empty of people and jobs and trees. If you want to get away from crowds it should be on your list. The growing season is short, and it is a long way to haul your crop to market if you grow anything besides alfalfa.
    The John Day, Prairie City, Dayville area to the north of Harney County is more scenic with with more hills and trees. If you want to be a farmer in Eastern Oregon, the Vale, Nyssa, Ontario area has a long growing season and more irrigation water.
    Residents of Eastern Oregon are usually less liberal than those in the Western part. You can't pump your own gas in Oregon. There is very little trash and litter along the roads. The speed limits are low and strictly enforced. Oregonians are proud of their state and the USA.
    I like Eastern Oregon because it reminds me of Southern Idaho, and Northern Utah.