Need info on goat as PET

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Crystal_W, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Crystal_W

Crystal_W New Member

Hi there.
    I have been thinking about a pet pygmy goat for awhile, and was wondering where I could find more info on keeping them as pets. I don't intend to breed or anything, I just want to spoil the little thing! I have heard that the pygmys are more affectionate, is this true? Does anyone know what the typical minimum acreage is to own a goat (I'm in MN if that makes a difference).
    Thanks to anyone who can help me out! I would like to learn from as many resources as possible before embarking on this.
    One more thing - can goats and dogs get along well if they grow up together?

Thanks again!!!!
    Crystal

2. Ginny

Ginny Member

Hi Crystal,
    I am very new to goats but, I have 2 Nigerian Dwarf Goat wethers. They are wounderful sweet little creatures and I would recomend them as pets to anyone. I also have a dog a black lab, it took a little time but once they got used to each other they get along fine. They share the same fenced in area with seperate houses, but sometimes I find the goats sleeping in the the dogs house, and the dog has taken on the roll of guardian.
    When I was first looking into a goat as a pet I was told you really need at least 2 so they don't get lonely, they are a heard animal.

Good Luck,
    Ginny

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have pygmies, but will add a few general things. One, a goat needs a good fence, away from any little trees, rose bushes, shrubs, etc., that you don't want eaten. A buck will not be a good pet. If you get a male, be sure he is wethered. It is true that a goat needs a companion. If it gets along with the dog, that might work, otherwise, you do need two.
    They are sweet, funny animals, but do have some minimum requirements, such as shelter and regular hoof trimming.
    mary

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I got my very first goats this spring, and I also got Nigerian Dwarf wethers. I have 3, and they are as cute as can be. I'm crazy about them. I have them in a fenced area with 2 sheep and lots of chickens and a few ducks. I take my 4 dogs in with them for walks every day, and they get along very well. I do not leave my big dogs in unattended, I'm a little nervous about that.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Goats make really nifty pets, they're sweet, smart, and get into all sorts of trouble. I don't have pygmies, so I can't really comment on them. They need good fences to keep them out of trouble, a sturdy shelter to keep them out of the rain (goats HATE to be wet), and somewhere draft-free to sleep.

Acreage requirements really depend on how you plan to feed them - do you need them to eat primarily pasture or can you afford to have them on hay and alfalfa all year?

My dogs and goats get along fine, but I don't let them mix unless I'm right there.

Definitely do yourself and the goat a favor and buy 2 - when our old doe passed on our wether made everyone crazy during the week before we were able to get another goat. He literally broke down the barn door and almost broke down the door into the house to get near us for company. They really do not do well alone!

6. Crystal_W

Crystal_W New Member

Are the Nigerain Dwarf goats really friendly with people? I would prefer something on the smaller side, and affectionate. Like I said before, I'm not breeding or trying to profit, so milk isn't important either.
    Can you walk goats, or do they get plenty of excersize roaming around? Does any one have a preference for does or bucks?
    Thank you all for the info! I really appreciate it!

Crystal

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

A buck would be a very poor pet, but a wether might be okay. I don't know for sure, since I haven't kept one, but I know you don't want a buck.
    I had a couple of little doelings last year that would go with me on walks on the property, staying pretty close and coming when I called. I don't think you'd want to walk them in town. Kids can be trained to walk on a lead, but it takes awhile. They'd rather bounce on ahead or go their own way.

8. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

Crystal, I have 2 Pygmy Does and 1 Boer Doe. I love all 3 of them. As far as my Pygmy's are concerned they are not as sweet and friendly as my Boer. It really all depends on how they are raised from the time they are born. Before you buy take time to really check the Pygmy's out and make sure they are friendly. Dont make the mistake that I did I would have feed with me and lure them to me and pet them until they realized I was touching them then they would both dart off. I figured they where just nerves not knowing me. I have tried everything to get them to become sweeter and friendlier but nothing has worked. My Boer on the other hand was never handled until I bought her and she is so sweet and gentle and friendly as they come. I think the difference might be that when I got my Boer home I had her penned up for 2 weeks in the barn to make sure did not have anything contagous and I fooled with her alot. The Pygmys was on the same Vaccine Routine as mine so They went to the field and I did not get the chance to fool with them like I did my Boer. I love all goats I think ANY goat makes a good pet. Just be careful and goats do need companions. I have my Boer Halter trained and walk her often. When I bring her out of the field and go down the road the 2 Pygmys cry and hollar the whole time until I bring her back. They do not like to be alone. Dogs and goats are fine together if the dog dont try to hurt the goats.
    Tina

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I've found that wethers are just as sweet as does are. I have my guys lead trained, but they usually just follow me around the property until we get to the area I need them to brush.