Need info. on Forsyth,Missouri please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Sep 19, 2004.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

I'm hoping some of you good folks can help me. We (my family and I) just recently purchased some land with a couple of homes on it in Forsyth,MO. As of right now, we all live in Nevada and have come accustomed to desert life. My folks are originally from Ohio, and I used to live back there as a child :eek: , so I don't remember much. My husband is a born and bred desert rat/cowboy. Having said this, let me get to the point. My folks are elderly and won't be able to work the land much, which will leave it to the two of us who are inexperienced. Is there anyone from that part of the country that can tell me about the soil conditions, weather, etc. . Also, the land is mostly woodland, which means we are going to have to do alot of clearing to make way for a barn/stables...can anybody give us any hints on the easiest way to clear the land without having to contract any help? Is there a big problem with mesquitoes there? well, I won't bore you with more questions, but will leave it with asking for any info. you can give me.

Secondly. My husband is a horse trainer. If there is anyone in Forsyth, Branson, Springfield or the surrounding area that could use a good horseman, please feel free to contact us at neonrodeo1@yahoo.com :yeeha:

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Forsyth is about 20 miles from branson and is pretty close to the lake. Been through there a few times :)
    Around Missouri in genral the ground is quite rocky But mostly workable. I'm guessing that it's purty hilly down there ( usually is near the lakes. Makes for some awsome views but not always best farm land.)

My best advice is get you a chainsaw and brushhog for clearing. Depending on how much you plan to grow, or how many animals you plan to have will determine how much you need to clear. Expect to have to buy hay for horses unless you have a lot of pasture (or area that you can make into pasture).

Misquitoes can be bad at times (especially around the lakes) but the tiggers and chicks, I mean chiggers and ticks are what eat me :)

3. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I have been to Forsyth many times. Great little town. The ground is VERY rocky with not much depth of top soil. You will be living in some of the most beautiful scenery of the Ozarks and will also be within 45 minutes of great fishing and recreation at Lake Taneycomo (Trout,Bass) Bull Shoals Lake,and Tabelrock Lake. As far as clearing your spread goes, perhaps you could hire out a bull dozer to knock down the trees,then cut up the timber to use yourself or contact a mill to sell the timber to. The main difference you will experience from where you now live is a S L O W E R pace.. and maybe a lack of shopping conveniences.
    Scott

4. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

We just happened to have gone to Forsythe yesterday -- not that I learned anything that the others haven't already told you about the area...just an interesting coincidence.

I'm curious how ya'll happen to purchase land there sight unseen? Or did I misread your post?

I did get a chuckle out of the "slower pace" post -- I'm thinking they live in the desert and someone thinks the Ozarks are a slower pace? Maybe I just need to go see if the coffee is ready yet?

Hopefully if you have the right timber on your land you will be able to sell it to atleast cover the rest of the cost off clearing part of it.

Welcome to the Ozarks!
    Marlene

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ok hon , what do you want to know ? i live in forsyth now , actualy i live closer to powersite , but my mailing addy is forsyth, and thats where i do most of my grocery shopping, so , hon , ask away !

where did you purchase your land ?

horse wise, theres lots of horses here, and lots of riders, but few professional horse people, for most it seems to be a hobby , or secondary interest but thats my opinion as a horse person

for the most part, folks are pretty laid back , but its not always like that , you get lots of tourism here,being so close to branson mo , people take thier afternoon drives through here
    also here , rather than the theatres (we have none) its mainly for fishing and camping, but when the rodeo is in town or the county fair, or one of the many biker conventions ( not hells angels, its mainly grey hairs on goldwings), we get lots too, and because its the county seat, its not as bucolic as some would think it ought to be .
    our school is pretty nice, its not as small as some , but its plenty small enough so that when i call the ofice they know who my son is ( and no its not cause hes in trouble , he's on honor roll :) )

anything else you need to know ?
    forsyth has 3 grocery stores, 2 "dollar" stores a sonic and mc donalds , 3 pizza places a good handfull of thrift stores( including the hiding place thrift store , whichthe $$ goes to the battered womens shelter ), 3 doctors offices ,a couple of bar/restraunt places the courthouse, and police station , as well as the county police station and of course a couple of bail bonds places, a handfull of attorneys a senior livin home, a senior mobile home park ....
    hmmmm....
    anything specific you want to know ?

6. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

"grey hairs on goldwings" LOL those would be my inlaws. Of coarse fil lost so much he just shaved the rest, LOL.

7. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

The land was not entirely purchased site unseen. My folks traveled back to Ohio to see family and friends, on their way too and from Ohio, they stopped in Missouri looking for land and holmes for us all. We originally were looking in the AVA and Mansfeild areas, but settled on Branson's surrounding area because of it's distance to Springfield (medically and job related reasons) My folks found the land and holmes, and we sent the proper items to purchase.

As far as slower pace...even with the tourism it has to be slower than Las Vegas. Traffic can not be near as bad, and I doubt you have very many problems with street gangs, murders, burglaries, etc. I'm happy to hear about the schools. I had made up my mind that if we stayed in Vegas I was going to homeschool my daughter. (school shootings are a weekly thing here)

I was brought up in small towns, so I will be more than happy to get out of this horrid city.

8. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Thank you for the info already given, you have already told me more than I knew yesterday. I would be very interested if you could tell me of any equestrian/livestock laws that might differ from those around here? Is there a big problem with West Nile in the horse population there? Though we live in the desert here, we have actually been hit relatively hard by it (with horses around our wetlands and Lake Mead as well as our wild mustangs). I would be very greatfull if you could give me any info (addresses, phone#, etc) on feed/tack shops in the area. Any Amish communities close by (that will give me an inkling of an idea about equestrian laws) ? As far as fishing and hunting go...what is usually pulled out of those lakes around there, and what kind of wild life am I going to find?( besides deer of course...I've heard rumors about an occasional bear and lots of wild turkey in the area) I've also heard that you have as many rattle snakes as we do...True?.
    If you could give me an addy for the Chamber of Commerce I'd be much obliged.
    Thanks again

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

http://www.forsyth-mo.com/

the chamber isnt much to speak of
    fishing wise ,
    crappie are excellentlimit is 14 , under the powersite dam ( bull shoals lake) they must be 10 inches or bigger, , the limit on bluegills is 50 per day per fisherperson ,not considered a "sport fish "
    trout fishing is fairly restrictive, in fact theres no trout fishing allowed under the powersite dam , above it, its i think over 17 inches, only , all trout is stocked , so they are pretty picky on it
    deer hunting started on the 14th , its very liberal , in my opinion , for deer, and turkey theres a long bow season , and plenty of state lands you can hunt on

swimming in shadowrock park is good, you go in swan creek and theres good cliffs to dive from , from small to , "must be out of your mind"

trying to think of what else you might want to know .....

livestock laws, pretty standard , its treated as property, must have some type of proof of ownership , nothing too restrictive
    no amish near forsyth , that i know of, more north of here near boilivar

no feed stores in forsyth, theres , bubby front porch feeds, in kirbyville, and the better choice is , mule barn feeds , in hollister
    i dont know of any Feed mills around here, , for that i would think either springfield, or harrison ar.
    lots of snakes, big safe, healthy black rat snakes, pretty and buff black , mainly harmess
    lots and lots and lots of spiders, thank god i am not afraid of them , thousands of daddy long legs ,wolf spiders,brown recluse missouri trantulas ,black widows
    etc .
    here this will help with that, we are in the southwestern conservation zone

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/

lets see... i dunno what else, ask away :D

10. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

:eek: You just had to mention the spiders didn't ya?...yuck!!!! :( but I've dealt with them here, I suppose I can do the same anywhere else. I didn't realize you had brown recluse and black widows there...always thought they were southwestern residents.

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

thats funny, but , you know what,......... i had black widows up in wisconsin, and violin spiders too ( brown recluse)
    arachnids are pretty wide spread

i actually saw one of the tarantulas up close this year, hubby found one on the porch and brought it in, theyre kind of cute in spider kind of way , you usually dont see them, but maybe once in a hwile on the roads first time i saw one on the road, i thought it was a leaf, but leaves dont have legs !
    :) lol!

oh you had asked about west nile,
    its pretty much like everywhere, if you have standing water, definately shoot them for it, if not, well its kind of your call, but you run the risk

i have not shot mine for it this year , i am havign more trouble with ticks than mosquitos

what kind of horses do you have ? will you be hauling them here with you ?

12. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

what kind of horses do you have ? will you be hauling them here with you ?[/QUOTE]

Right now we just have one horse named Rooster. He's a 25 year old Quarter Horse. I love this horse so much, and my daughter can't go a day without riding him at least once (and she's two years old). However because of his age, and some typical arthritis (typical for his age that is), plus he has laminitis which we are currently doing corrective shoing and rehab for. we have decided not to take him. We feel that the weather would just make him stiff and sore and miserable. I couldn't bare to see him like that. Rooster has so much heart, I would hate to break that. So we will be giving (yes giving) him to a family we know will take good care of him and love him as much as we do.... :waa: aww man . now I'm tearing up.

Once we get the land cleared enough to put up a barn, we will most likely buy a few more horses. We are seriously considering buying some PMU foals. We just enjoy horses, so the breed doesn't really concern us as long as they are good and sound. Our first purchase however will probably be a couple Drafts to help with the clearing.
    You mentioned ticks, since we really don't have many here (except in the mountains) we've never had to deal with them like we do mesquitos and biting flies. Is there anything that repells them, or do we just need to keep good vigil.

Oh, I've notice that coyotes are really getting thick in Ohio and other midwestern states, any problem with them there?

13. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

On another note, is there anyone who can tell me what I need to do to get a business license in Missouri. I'm sure it's not much different than here, but I know that each state has little differences here and there.
    I'd also love to hear any history on Forsyth (when it was founded, Civil war? any thing really) any historical sites in that area that tourists like to see?
    I'd also love to hear of any farmers markets in the area.

Now I've got a dozen questions popping in my head.
    Does anyone use Purple Martins to help control skeeters and flies there? If so, I'd love info on those great little birds (or any others that are used for pest control in the area)
    :haha: boy you would think that i'm obsessed with pest control with all my questions about bugs :haha:
    Any local festivals around the year?
    what fruit/veggies and nuts grow best (or even wild) in the area?
    Anybody grow Luffa gourds? I can't find seeds out here, and would love to try growing them once I get settled in MO..
    Not having to deal with winter here in the desert, I'm probably about to ask a really stupid question, but here goes. What is done with Chickens and ducks/geese in the winter? do they go about their everyday lives just the same, or do you need to insulate their coops with extra straw, or move them in the barn? Sorry, I know it doesn't snow all that much there, but I just have a vision in my head of poultry-cicles in the yard.
    Well, I'm going to stop there for now, so I don't make a complete fool of myself.

OH WAIT! someone mentioned Rodeo at some time (thats the MAGIC word for us ) When? where? PRCA,IPRA,or open? Any jackpot rodeos or practice pens in the area?

Thanks for putting up with this desert rat.
    God Bless

14. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

OH WAIT! someone mentioned Rodeo at some time (thats the MAGIC word for us ) When? where? PRCA,IPRA,or open? Any jackpot rodeos or practice pens in the area?

Thanks for putting up with this desert rat.
    God Bless[/QUOTE]
    I'm 20 miles "up the crik" (Swan) from Forsyth..there are some really good rodeo & horse related events going on in the SW Mo. area..trail riding is great...We don't shop down there as its always higher near the lake..There is the society country estate folks & the real country that know how to fit in & learn how to handle whatever comes with living on the land...how you fit where you are now will be how you fit here....Lots of folks who'll help you if you are the type who wants to be one of us..Great rodeo & bull rides,private roping & cattle penning arenas.. ..Good stock horse breeders & shows.. We like those Foxtrotters around here,but we get along good with any body who likes horses..when are you coming...we'll put on the coffee.. Y'all Come Now ! GrannieD

15. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

I want to be there now, but it looks like we'll be headin' out there in November. rodeo!? Bull Riding!? Team/Cattle penning!? :dance: doin' the happy dance.....
    As far as who I'll fit in with, well, I ain't no high muckity muck thats for sure. Even some of the high and mighty horsey people aren't fond of me. (probably because I tell them what I think of their sequened blouses and overdone hair.....) I'm just who I am, like me or leave me, you know? I've never owned a Foxtrotter, but have ridden them, and have enjoyed every second of it.

16. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Ava is the World headquarters for the Missouri Foxtrotters Assoc. They have 2-3 avents per year. People come from all over the US and the world to Ava to purchase or show their Fox Trotters. You may be interested in it. I believe that a good Foxtrotter Trainer will get alot of money training them.

Just thought you might want to know.

dale

17. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

PBR is here oct 2nd, trying to get tickets from hubby for that, for my b day !

bull riding in november, yes november, in springfield, the American finals rodeowhich is actually an all events rodeo , from what i know
    (ACRA) the 19-21
    i know of several who are like me , former barrel racers, who are working back up to it , the nice thing about the arena in shadow rock is its free to the public to use for practice !
    the only horse type thing that threw me for a loop when i got down here is all the MULES!, i know missuri is kind of known for it
    a friend of mine from church is a high dollar amateur in team penning , hes really good, and a nice guy too .
    as for open rodeos, theres almost always one going on , most of the rural towns have areans, i know forsyth does, green forest (ark) does, harrison has rodeo this weekend, ...

theres some pretty good horse groups here, just got to get into them :D
    B
    in fact, ( civil war trivia) , the 4th cavalry had a battle near here ""Companies B, C, D and L were at the same time serving under Major Sturgis in Missouri. On the 27th of July a skirmish took place near Forsyth, Mo., in which Capt. Stanley, 1st Cavalry, with his troop, had the advance and lost two men wounded and four horses killed (including his own, shot under him)."
    "July 22-Forsyth, Mo. Ist Ia., 2d Kan., Stanley Dragoons, Totten's Battery. Union 3 wounded. Confed. 5 killed, 10 wounded""

OH , and as i said before , I have Carla Emery coming on the 2nd of November !
    thats about all i got for you for now !
    Cant wait to meet you !

18. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

business license here are easy. $7 to register the name. You also need a tax id number but It's free ( I believe). Of course if you want an LLC it's a bit more involved and cost $100.

If you look on the state website I think they have kits with all the forms you need.